D90 Kit or D2X?

Sharp Shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was in a toss up between a used Nikon D2X body for $999 or the D90 kit new for $1,150. I bought the D90 and love it but am wondering if it was the right choice. I am considering trying to return it to best buy and get the D2X. Any suggestions?

I admittedly don't know all the technical details of the D2X, but I do know that while it is a pro-level body it's a much older one, and therefore older technology. I think you made the right choice with the D90.

I would say the d90 for sure. The d90 will be much better at higher ISO settings which is a really good thing. You won't be disappointed keeping you d90. Enjoy!
TJ

it depend on what you use for it I guess. The D90 does perform much better in low light but it's not like that all you do.

Thanks guys, that is what I needed to hear:thumbup: I will start saving my pennies now for an, up to date upgrade in the future. I think the look of the body, 8fps and the fact that it is "pro" is what was really bothering me but I know I can get photos that are just as good with the D90 and once it's gripped I am sure I will be happy. Thanks again guys.

The D300s is entry level pro, and compare it with the D90 and you'll see that if you take the body, weather seals, the 2.5 frames per second more, and option of the 51 point AF, you have basically the same camera, with almost exact IQ.

So grip your D90 if a larger body is what you like, and you'll have a your own studio entry pro camera (just keep it out of the rain, and try to avoid slamming it into things).

So grip your D90 if a larger body is what you like, and you'll have a your own studio entry pro camera (just keep it out of the rain, and try to avoid slamming it into things).
:lmao:

I am buying a rain coat for it and wouldnt slam ANY camera into things on purpose. I honestly hate the layout of the D300 (not sure if the S is any different).

Kyle, can you link me to the kit for that price range?

I wouldn't mind seeing that as well. I have seen the kit at a hair over $1000, but no where near $800-900 without it being used, or body only.

The D90 is a great choice but I personally think you paid way too much. I see the D90 kits go for around $800-$900 now.

Where in the world did you see a d90 kit for 800-900? The D5000 is selling for 700ish. I got a d5000 kit for 849 with a second lens and bag. With an 8g card and an uv filter and came out to 1grand. If I thought I could get a d90 kit not just body only for 900 I would return the one I got back in a heart beat. So Please share with us so I can return mine before its 14 day return is up

The D90 is a great choice but I personally think you paid way too much. I see the D90 kits go for around $800-$900 now.

Where in the world did you see a d90 kit for 800-900? The D5000 is selling for 700ish. I got a d5000 kit for 849 with a second lens and bag. With an 8g card and an uv filter and came out to 1grand. If I thought I could get a d90 kit not just body only for 900 I would return the one I got back in a heart beat. So Please share with us so I can return mine before its 14 day return is up

Here is just the body for $788 then you can pick out whatever lens you want for like 150-200 bucks. You can get it used or refurbished for even less...

25446 Nikon D90 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body with DX Format CMOS Sensor

I say return the D5000 and add another couple bucks to pick up the D90 kit, second lens be damned. Then in a month from now pick up a cheap ($100) 50mm f/1.8 that the D90 will autofocus, and never look back........

Just saying man. I was in that same situation.

I will have to agree, the AF motor alone is enough to justify the extra money IMO. On a side note while we wait for those links, I was set on the MB-D80 but man, the Zeikos looks as good if not better and is a third of the price on amazon. Any input on that? All the reviews say it's great.

Most reactions

Back