D90 kit vs. D7000

klv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this question in another thread but after a little reading, I think I need to restate it.

I have this D90 kit, but I'm considering if i should keep it or upgrade right away (I would need to invest around 300 bucks more for the D7000). These are the two options:

OPTION 1 (1,200.00)

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body
18-55mm VR Zoom-NIKKOR Lens
70-300mm VR Zoom-NIKKOR Lens
Versatile System Carrying Case
Instructional DVD
4GB SD Memory Card
Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
Quick Charger
Audio/Video Cable
USB Cable
Strap
PictureProject CD-Rom

OPTION 2 (1,500.00)

Nikon D7000 Body
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
MH-25 QuickCharger
Eyepiece Cap
Rubber Eyecup
USB Cable
A/V Cable
Camera Strap
LCD Monitor Cover
Body Cap
Shoe Cover
ViewNX 2

I need to decide soon. Please help me voting.

I switched to a d7000 from a D90 and i am glad i did. Some people will say that it doesnt worth the upgrade. Its because they never owned both. I am talking by experience and if you you have the extra 300$ to invest, go for it without looking back.

I shoot quite a bit and its a whole better camera.

Here are the advantages of the d7000

Larger viewfinder.
Built quality is better.
Battery last forever.
ISO performance is amazing
dual sd card
alot more focus points (i like it for portrait)
Meetering is awesome.
the battery grip quality is really nice.
weather seals
more external control.
1080p video that refocus.
and alot more crap that could forget to mention.
Higher flash sync

its a better camera in every way

Even if you only have 1 lens for it, the 18-105VR is a really nice walk around lens for landscapes to portrait work. has a bit of distortion on the 18mm end but is fairly easy to correct is pp.

Last edited:
Is this your first DSLR? Is so get the D90. The D7000 has a lot of things that are great but not necessarily things you need for your first camera. And I wouldn't get the kit, just buy the camera and one lens (& SD card) and then figure out later what you really need. Most kits include all sorts of things that you won't use.

You can get the D90 and the 18-105 for $830. Don't need to spend $1200.

I disagree, get the best body you can afford to start with to avoid the temptation to upgrade in 6 months, this way you can concentrate on glass.

Let me put it this way; If you have the means, there's no reason not to get the D7000.

I would personally pay the extra $300 for "this year's model".

It's better to spend money on quality glass. The D90 is a very capable body and unless you are shooting professionally I wouldn't worry about upgrading bodies yet.

Thank you all for your input. I see that the opinions are kind of split (50-50).

I understand the importance of getting a good glass. But since I'm starting, I think that I probably wont be able to make a good choice now. I think that I'll go for the body that will give me more in a long run. I think that the specs mentioned by ghache are well worth the investment.

this is what a friend wrote: (it makes sense to me)

OTOH, let's look at why a d7000 makes sense. first of all, it's early in the product cycle, so its at its peak of technological relevance and value. A new D90 bought today will quickly depreciate; a year from now, it'll be worth $500. a new D7000 bought today should fetch at least $900 or $1000 in a year. so if the OP decides his upgrade path is a D300-type body or even FF, he'll get more $$ for his older body. second, the initial buy-in might be more, but an 18-105 VR will still be useful as a lightweight walkaround or travel lens, even if you upgrade to specialized and/or pro glass. which almost certainly will happen, in all likelihood or probability. After all, who among us has the internal fortitude to resist the onset of NAS? At least this way, the OP can forget about a new body for a while--years, actually--and then concentrate on developing technique, learning the camera, and identifying areas of photographic interest, which may not be apparent at first.Getting another lens, say, six months down the line makes more sense to me than trying to account for everything in an initial purchase, before you even know what you like to shoot and what glass you need to shoot it. also, unless you are a dedicated landscaper or wildlife shooter, the shorter zoom will probably see more stick time, and the 18-105 has a better overall range than the 18-55, which means less lens changes. so even from a lens selection perspective, i'd go for the D7000 kit. like i said, you can always add a telephoto later if you know what's what you want (as opposed to guessing that's what you might want. personally, my second lens would be a fast prime)

Thank you all for your help!.

Most reactions

Back