D90 lens

Thanks again guys...

I think I'll simply stick with the kit lens @ time being and take it a step at a time.

A couple of points to consider.

Nikon's AF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lens. It has the worst barrel distortion of any Nikon lens made today. At the short end the distortion is quite complex and very difficult to correct with an image editor.

I would recommend the AF-S 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6G over the 18-200.

Good camera handeling technique will prevent lens mount damage. Obviously, dropping or giving a a camera lens combo forceful bump exposes the equipment to damage of one sort or another.

You could have a nearly complete lens kit that gives you about the best image and build quality if you get these 3 lenses known as the Nikon Trinity:
  • AF-S 14-24 mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8G
The total cost for the 3, bought new, will be just under $6000.

If you're going to drop 6 grand on lenses, you should also pick up a full-frame body like a d700, otherwise you're only using half of the glass you own. ;)

While I agree that the 18-200 VR has it's downsides, it's MAJOR upside is the fact that it can do what it takes two lenses to do otherwise. It's optics are very good considering what is being asked of such a compact lens. If you start with an 18-200mm you'll likely end up keeping it in the future as no "better" lens you replace it with will allow you to walk out the door without an extra lens in your pocket.

Thanks again guys...

I think I'll simply stick with the kit lens @ time being and take it a step at a time.

Your first step should be a 50mm f1.8 prime. I doubt you'll find a single photographer that would disagree.

In fact I tell a lot of my friends to buy a prime as their first lens, as it's the cheapest way to pro-quality glass.

i would say get the kit that has the 18-105 in it, and then add the 50 1.8.

Sounds like a plan, I had plans on picking up the 50mm f1.8 prime in the near future.

I really enjoy my 18-105...

Which one is it and how fast is it, out of curiosity?

BTW, I have the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens (the first one, not the second), and for travel photography, hiking, and all-around stuff, it's really flexible, a good lens for $700 new, $550 used. Mine has slowly developed a little bit of lens creep over the years, but bear in mind that I do a lot of backpacking and have a tendency to beat the crap out of things.

Just in case this info helps the OP anyway...

Most reactions

Back