D90 lens

thehollywoodteam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys/gals,

I am purchasing my first DSLR and have turned my attention towards the D90 (it was between the 50D & D90)

Anyhow, I've been coming across lots of suggestions to buy body only & purchase lens separately because of factors like plastic ring/rubber, etc...

Which lens would you recommend for beginners other than the kit lens (18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G )?

Thanks for all the help, it really is difficult purchasing a DSLR :blushing::blushing:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I want something that can be used for everyday shots...telephoto & wide angle. Budget is around $500 for lens.

If you want telephoto AND wide angle, then the only real choice is the 18-200mm vr... they sell used for around $500.

By purchasing this lens, would I compromise any speed?

Yes, and No... it's not a "fast" lens, but it has VR, vibration reduction, which adds about two stop of steadiness to hand-held shooting, making it just as easy to shoot "shake free" handheld shots as a lens twice as fast.

A "fast" lens typically refers to a maximum aperture of 2.8 or less. There are no lenses that go from wide to telephoto that are "fast."

If you want to go with only "fast" glass you may consider these two lenses, but you'd be blowing your budget:

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 = $350 used
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 = $550 used

Keep in mind that f2.8 telephotos are HEAVY and bulky. Most shooters keep some slower, lighter zooms around for casual photos and travel.

Personally I'd recommend the 18-200mm VR as your "everyday outdoor lens," and then add a 50mm f1.8 as your "fast" indoor/portrait lens--these can be found used for around $100.

Wow, excellent info...

What is your opinion on the "kit" model, I understand it doesn't shoot as long as 18-200. It is understood that I will need to purchase lenses for each scenario...I'm more concerned about the "build quality" of the kit lens rather than the distance it will shoot. Customers on amazon mention damaging the plastic lens mount easily.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Another option:

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc = $350 used
Nikon 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 = $170 used

This stays in your budget, covers 18mm all the way to 300mm with just a slight gap. It also gives you a "fast" pro-level lens for your lower focal lengths (the ones you are most likely to use indoors under low light). In the future you can replace the slower 70-300mm lens if you like.

Wow, excellent info...

What is your opinion on the "kit" model, I understand it doesn't shoot as long as 18-200. It is understood that I will need to purchase lenses for each scenario...I'm more concerned about the "build quality" of the kit lens rather than the distance it will shoot. Customers on amazon mention damaging the plastic lens mount easily.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

All nikon lenses are well made, I wouldn't worry too much about "build quality," unless your the type that abuses your gear. Frankly, only the most expensive lenses (out of your price range) have a build quality that is significantly better then the kit lens.

The problem with the kit lenses is their resale value, typically nikon lenses hold there value VERY well--but not kit lenses. If you buy a used mid or high grade lens now, you'll likely be able to sell it to close to what you paid for it a couple years from now--the same isn't true for kit lenses as nobody is "upgrading" to a kit lens.

A couple of points to consider.

Nikon's AF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lens. It has the worst barrel distortion of any Nikon lens made today. At the short end the distortion is quite complex and very difficult to correct with an image editor.

I would recommend the AF-S 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6G over the 18-200.

Good camera handeling technique will prevent lens mount damage. Obviously, dropping or giving a a camera lens combo forceful bump exposes the equipment to damage of one sort or another.

You could have a nearly complete lens kit that gives you about the best image and build quality if you get these 3 lenses known as the Nikon Trinity:
  • AF-S 14-24 mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8G
The total cost for the 3, bought new, will be just under $6000.

I bought my 18-105mm for $250 and I use it all the time. Its my staple lens. Its a great buy! I love it.

The problem with the kit lenses is their resale value, typically nikon lenses hold there value VERY well--but not kit lenses.
This is not my experience.

Kit lenses are relatively inexpensive and have repeatedly held a larger portion of their inital value when re-sold in good condition.

I ususally take a bigger percentage hit on the better lenses at re-sell time.

A couple of points to consider.

Nikon's AF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lens. It has the worst barrel distortion of any Nikon lens made today. At the short end the distortion is quite complex and very difficult to correct with an image editor.

I would recommend the AF-S 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6G over the 18-200.

Good camera handeling technique will prevent lens mount damage. Obviously, dropping or giving a a camera lens combo forceful bump exposes the equipment to damage of one sort or another.

You could have a nearly complete lens kit that gives you about the best image and build quality if you get these 3 lenses known as the Nikon Trinity:
  • AF-S 14-24 mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8G
The total cost for the 3, bought new, will be just under $6000.

And then the holy trinity plus the 200-400 and then a 600 while we're at it:D I own the 18-105 and while it is no 3lb solid and internal lens the quality is fine. It doesn't feel like it's going to break apart in your hands or anything. A plastic mount isn't what you hope for but I don't think it will really be a problem as long as you aren't dropping your gear or swinging it around by the lens trying to snap it off. GL
TJ

Most reactions

Back