d90 or 40D?

thanks for the help everyone.
dpreview says that the nikon d90 tends to blow highlights a lot, anyone with a d90 have that problem?

thanks for the help everyone.
dpreview says that the nikon d90 tends to blow highlights a lot, anyone with a d90 have that problem?

I've noticed it can be a bit hot, but really only in situations that would challenging a challenging exposure anyway - such as a white swan in full sunlight with half the swan in shadow, or, thick cloudy haze that makes that makes the sky appear bright white.

In both instances I was able to pull back a hell of a lot of detail, especially the cloudy haze shot where I was able to pull back textures in the clouds that I simply couldn't see while I was there because it was so bright.

You can use the exposure compensation button if you think the camera is likely to over expose a scene, and if you dont want to have to think about doing this you can fine tune the exposure for each metering mode in 1/6ev steps. So if you don't like the way it exposes direct from the factory you can make it expose the way you want.

I would say the D90, I have tried them both, but it was D90 for me. Spend your money on a good lens, like a 16-85 and you will be happy.

Dont compare the 40D and the D90, compare it to the 5D or 50D.
If you have problems with the video, look at the D300 its not much much more.

Here are the actual side-by-side comparions of the 50D and the D90.

Cons for the 50D:

* High ISO performance worse than 40D
* Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to EOS 40D
* Per-pixel detail not as good as on good 10 or 12 megapixel cameras
* High-end lenses required to get the most out of the camera
* Poor white balance performance under artificial light
* Flash must be up for AF assist lamp (although AF is good even in low light)
* Live view not as accurate as on 40D (framing very slightly off-center, in contrast detect AF mode not possible to magnify right out to the extreme corners)

Cons for the D90:

* Over-enthusiastic metering a little prone to blown highlights
* Very soft (default) JPEG output compared to its peers
* We believe more of the captured dynamic range could be incorporated into Jpegs
* Menus getting long and complex (though well organized and differentiated)
* Bundled software pretty limited
* Arbitrary 100-shot limit on continuous shooting
* Disappointing automatic white balance performance in incandescent light
* In-camera RAW conversion could provide more control
* Video capabilities limited in a number of ways

As always, the Nikon suffers from metering control; anyone who uses one knows that and always exposes for it anyway. Both suffer from white balance issues indoors - again, shooting in RAW helps this on either body. If you were looking at low light performance though, it is glass AND iso performance that will help you here. The D90 has ISO performance on par with the D300 (which is to be expected).

You are on the right path of comparing IQ as the most important factor in choosing a camera. "Feel" is the worse criteria to use in choosing a camera. The moment the viewfinder reaches your eye the only feel you have is in the shutter release finger and eye.

Remember when you purchase a dSLR that you are getting a camera system. Both Canon and Nikon have more than sufficient lenses and accessories to satisfy most photographers. If you are into something extraordinary ... say astro or macro ... make sure the camera system you choose supports that specialty with hardware and software.

Canon hardware seems to be a tad cheaper than Nikon for equal/similar equipment. One of the prime keys to low-noise at elevated-ISOs is a CMOS sensor. All Canon dSLR cameras utilize CMOS sensors ... only the most expensive Nikons use CMOS. So if you ever need/desire a second body you will have more choices and less expensive choices with Canon than Nikon (using low-noise at high-ISO as a prime consideration). The 5D has held the title of low-noise at higher ISO for quite a few years, the latest high-end cameras from Canon and Nikon has stripped the 5D of that title ... but the difference is not visibily significant.

You won't see a significant difference in IQ between the 40D, D90, 50D and/or a 5D up to an 8x10. It takes 50% more MPs to make a visible difference in IQ. The MP difference between all the above cameras is insignificant.

Nikons are far more sexy looking than the chubby Canons (this is important in my book.)

Personally, I feel that with the D90 or the 40D/50D you will be completely happy. Both camera lines are designed for the human hand and one will easily adapt to either manufactors design. I would probably go with Canon because of equal but less expensive lenses and due to the greater and less expensive choices of low-noise, high ISO cameras.

A few photogs that I respect have recently purchased the 50D. Initially they were really disappointed with the performance ... but they learned that had to turn-off all the in-camera noise reduction handlers and viola! They feel the resolution is superior to the 40D.

Gary

PS- It is hard to qualify opinions on the internet ... should you choose/consider a person's opinion as a deciding factor make sure you visit his/her photo site to help you qualify their experience and skill level.
G

PPS- Direct comparisons between Nikon and Canon are not easy because they tend to stagger their cameras features and prices. If you had a stair with the lowest step being the cheapest camera with the least features and the top step being the most expensive camera w/ most features.

The steps will alternate between Nikon and Canon with no steps having both a Canon and a Nikon.
G

PPPS- All things being equal ... then go for "feel" as the last and least important qualifier for a camera purchase.
G

Last edited:
I would say, definitely D90! I've used Canon before and Nikon's obviously better in any aspect!

I would say, definitely D90! I've used Canon before and Nikon's obviously better in any aspect!

Except price. Of course, price between bodies is pretty much the only difference. Lenses, and accessories you generally are going to pay the same between the two companies.

OP also needs to look at not only the bodies, but the various "extras" that are available from each manufacturer. For example Nikons Speedlight system - to the best of my knowledge Canon does not have as robust an off-flash system as Nikon does.

Most reactions

Back