D90 or D700?

wow this was almost like asking...

"VW Golf or Mercedes SL600"? :lol:

Jerry, a very nice response to my post. Thanks for that. Your explaination, well, explains it very well. Thank you, it answers the question I have every time I see someone state what I was asking there in my post.

Check out the detailed answer for that on Dpreview.com (I don't feel like typing in 300-400 words when that info is easily available on the net already)... however, after speaking to many people who own both, as far as final results are concerned, there are none in that area.

Thanks, JerryPH. I have read articles and reviews on the D700 but that is the first place that I have seen a good side-by-side comparison to the D3 (and D300). I'm kind of surprised I haven't run across that website before.

It is the first place that the majority of people here will run to, to get technical info. ;)

Glad I was able to help. :)

That still doesn't answer the question, what exactly is the difference? What features can it possibly be that would be such a high learning curve?

The learning curve just going from a snapshot shooter during the kid's birthdays to taking photography as a hobby shooting in manual with my Fuji superzoom was quite high as well. It's not rocket science to use a piece of equipment like a camera. Is there some sort of feature that poses your subject for perfect composition or something that is too difficult to understand with a D700 compared to an "entry level" camera?

You can read the manual of my camera all you want and never learn what the heck aperture, shutter, or ISO settings do. You do learn how to set them, but what and when to set them, there is no information. Yet, I shoot my superzoom in full manual same as someone would with a D700, by metering and setting the ISO, aperture, and shutter. Unless the D700 seeks out the photo and takes the picture for you, I still have yet to hear of any special features that would be so above my or anyone else's head who would be interested in photography that it wouldn't be a good idea to go with it starting out.
I'd say that the entry level cameras are easier to use because the have more auto options. Portrait mode, sports mode...etc. I guess these cameras are considered easier to use because a photographer can get great results without learning the ins and outs of photography.

That being said. If you shoot in manual or semi-manual and are actually familiar with photography then I think the higher-end cameras are actually easier to use. They add more functionality at your finger tips.

If you are familiar with shooting manual modes the differences between the D90 and D700 are more of quality and price than complexity.

^^ a lot of the entry level cams also have a lot of limitations that can be really annoying and make it hard to learn photography. The D90 is not one of those, however.

I'd also not really call it an entry level camera either, Chris. It's a solid mid-level cam with some very interesting feature and targeted in such a manner that it can catch both mid-level and beginner dSLR interested people.

I'd also not really call it an entry level camera either, Chris. It's a solid mid-level cam with some very interesting feature and targeted in such a manner that it can catch both mid-level and beginner dSLR interested people.

Yeah, I guess I could go along with that. What is an entry-level camera, though? D40? D60? I guess they are, but ... well, we've all heard my opinions on these cameras waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times at this point. :lol:

Yeah, I guess I could go along with that. What is an entry-level camera, though? D40? D60? I guess they are, but ... well, we've all heard my opinions on these cameras waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times at this point. :lol:

Yea, I would say the D40, 50, 60, 70, and maybe even 80 would be more entry level. Although I quite like my D70s. Much sturdier than the D40/60 and much less menus. But enough of my raving :cyclops:.

I'd call it entry level...

anything with preset picture modes is entry level IMO..

D90 down entry/consumer level

D300/700 advanced amateur

D3 pro

there.... now everything is neatly labeled....

or you can wait until November 20th then Nikon will introduce new cameras with 20+ mp

D300/700 advanced amateur

Except your labels are not matching what Nikon is saying they are... lol.

From the Dpreview D700 review:
"The D700 joins the D3 as a fully-fledged 'professional' model; it has the same tank-like build quality (though we're sure the pop-up flash will cause a few raised eyebrows), and gets you the full pro service from Nikon."

:D

Most reactions

Back