What's new

Why use an old camera? Nikon D700

Fusion07

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 4, 2024
Messages
18
Reaction score
18
Location
Cambodia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
 
I use a Canon 5D MKIII that I bought used in 2022 as my main professional camera. I may have bought it used 4 years ago, but it still feels like a new camera to me and I haven't lost any love for it in those 4 years. Before this camera, I had been using an original Canon 5D as my main professional camera, which I had purchased in 2012. I absolutely loved that camera as well, and I only upgraded to the MKIII because I thought it was having trouble communicating with my lens. It turns out the issue was the lens and not the camera, but I had already upgraded to the MKIII by the time I figured this out. I'm not mad about the upgrade though, as I absolutely love my MKIII. The only thing I really miss now about the Original 5D is the size of it's files. Those 12 megapixel files took up a lot less file space than the 21 megapixel files of the MKIII. Other than that, the photos render the same. The superior AF and low light capabilities of the MKIII make it much easier to realize my visions though. Now, my Original 5D sits on a display shelf with my OPPA trophies.
I do plan on upgrading again this year, but I'll be sticking with a DSLR. I plan to get a 5D MKIV because I would like to have two camera bodies for weddings. The MKIV will likely become my main camera and the MKIII will become my backup, but in the meantime I still find it to be a complete joy to use the MKIII.

The cost of L series EF mount lenses in the used market is a huge benefit as well. I bought my dream lens in 2024 (a used Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II) for less than $800, which was an unheard of low price back when the EF mount was standard for Canon cameras. Next I plan on spending about $500 on a 35mm f/1.4L lens.
 
I use a Canon 5D MKIII that I bought used in 2022 as my main professional camera. I may have bought it used 4 years ago, but it still feels like a new camera to me and I haven't lost any love for it in those 4 years. Before this camera, I had been using an original Canon 5D as my main professional camera, which I had purchased in 2012. I absolutely loved that camera as well, and I only upgraded to the MKIII because I thought it was having trouble communicating with my lens. It turns out the issue was the lens and not the camera, but I had already upgraded to the MKIII by the time I figured this out. I'm not mad about the upgrade though, as I absolutely love my MKIII. The only thing I really miss now about the Original 5D is the size of it's files. Those 12 megapixel files took up a lot less file space than the 21 megapixel files of the MKIII. Other than that, the photos render the same. The superior AF and low light capabilities of the MKIII make it much easier to realize my visions though. Now, my Original 5D sits on a display shelf with my OPPA trophies.
I do plan on upgrading again this year, but I'll be sticking with a DSLR. I plan to get a 5D MKIV because I would like to have two camera bodies for weddings. The MKIV will likely become my main camera and the MKIII will become my backup, but in the meantime I still find it to be a complete joy to use the MKIII.

The cost of L series EF mount lenses in the used market is a huge benefit as well. I bought my dream lens in 2024 (a used Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II) for less than $800, which was an unheard of low price back when the EF mount was standard for Canon cameras. Next I plan on spending about $500 on a 35mm f/1.4L lens.
I still use my Canon 1D MkIV on occassions and also my 5D Mk2. Both still excellent cameras.
 
I use my D40 once in a while and if I want to shoot film, I usually go with the N90S.
 
I still use a well used Canon 5D Mark III for copy work here at the lab. Works well for I do but I miss the Phase-One back and the Hassey that I used when I first started working here in 2007.
 
Carry my Nikon F3HP+MD4 motor drive when cosplaying an '80s conflict photographer.
 
I too, bought a 5Dmkiii, after I bought an RP. The mirrorless RP is more capable and smaller but the 5Dmkiii has a better image quality, very happy with both cameras, though I use my small M50 and M3 for carry around.
 
Carry my Nikon F3HP+MD4 motor drive when cosplaying an '80s conflict photographer.
Cosplay - get out and do it for real.
 
I still use a number of older Canon cameras for time-lapse and night sky, auroras or stars. They work just fine. And nothing as fancy as a 5D. I mean, 10-D, 20-D and 40-D. I have a 50-D on my copy stand and it's just fine. I guess it depends on how large and detailed of an image, someone might need. Isn't 15MP enough?

OH ps they all use the same battery. The 60-D Canon changed to something "better".
 
Last edited:
I have all kinds of Nikons but I prefer to use my old D300 mated to my Sigmonster 300-800 and have that 1.5 lens crop factor. When it comes to film mh fave will always be my Minolta X700.
 
I will go the other way as I still have my Nikons from d800 d850 d7000 d4 and d5. I kept my glass too. I will use the 850 in hazardous conditions. But the z8/9 and6iii are a step up and have changed my workflow. I upgraded bodies if there was a reason like crop to full frame then as iso got better and then to get the best dslr the d850. Then I went to a workshop and shot with a mirrorless and said wow. Focus peaking the ability to shoot with flash and mix ambient light in seconds on the fly and see what I was getting. I knew what I should shoot it at but this gave me the histogram and visual confirmation. Then I stated to shoot at night and use continuous lighting. I have one studio that is all continuous and rgb. Much easier than gels and you can dial it in and see it exactly. The focus is much easier and faster and shooting at 1.2 is always spot on and wildlife eye focus and birds in flight all are easier with mirrorless. Then the final nail in the coffin is the new medium format bodies. 100 mpx snd amazing color science and you get it as a body and and also a back that goes on different bodies. So yes you can get great output and use the older gear and I still have mine because the value has dropped but I also shoot video too and that means mirrorless now. Building a hybrid kit and a stills kit and I will be set for the rest of my journey. Video is here to stay and ai is changing photography too.
 
I just ordered a used Nikon D750 with a 24-85 lens to go with my D850 and D500. I'm a dSLR junky.
 
I've got a mirrorless Nikon Z camera, but my most popular shot last year was taken by a Canon 5D classic.

My favorite camera of all time is the Nikon FM, so yep- I am A-OK with old cameras!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom