D90 Shipped!

anm90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
VERY excited. Just got word that the Nikon D90 (with 18-105 lens) that I recently purchased has shipped! This will be my first DSLR. All I need now is to scrounge up some money for a camera bag and a better memory card.

Can anyone give some recommendations as to camera bags and a suitable memory card? I am extremely low budget (think broke college student), but would still like something that is of decent quality. I am looking for a bag that can handle the camera, some accessories and maybe another lens or two in the future.

As for the memory card, what is the average that can hold at least 1000 pictures from this camera? Also, what kind of speed is necessary? Is class 4 good enough? Or should I opt for a class 6? I was thinking something around the 4gb range but was not sure if this was big enough to handle the large file sizes that this camera can produce.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Alex,

Congrats on your purchase! I own a couple of Lowepro bags, and while they aren't cheap, the quality is killer. My current favorite bag is the Flipside 200 or 300. The main compartment opens from the back of the bag, so it leaves me feeling safe from theft while I carry it around.

As for memory, if you shoot in JPEG, you should be able to squeeze 1000+ shots onto a 4 GB card. I would just buy what you can afford, and worry about upgrading later down the line, should you decide you need to.

Enjoy!
Mike

Congrats, you'll LOVE the D90.

As for cards, I use this and have no problems with it. It's a class 6 so the write speeds are decently fast, downloading a hundred raw files from the card to the computer goes pretty quickly.

As for the bag, I would just recommend you go and get the feel for them at a local store.

Awesome! Which card was it that you used? I think you forgot to include a link.

As for the bags, I think I will do that. There's a nice photography shop here in SLO not too far away. I just have to find time to get down there before they close. Everything closes super early in San Luis Obispo. Way different than what I'm used to in San Diego.

Have fun with the D90! Ill be buying the same thing when I upgrade, and keeping the D5000 as a spare body.

As far as bags go, I like the Lowepro bags. I use a CompuDaypack and it has room for a few lenses, a couple of bodies, a flash and a laptop no problem.

Congrats on the Cam, as for a college student, I think the backpack style bag is a must, I use the Kata R-103 it's on the pricey side, but Kata build will last you a lifetime. I'd check ebay for used bags...

r-103-photo.jpg

It's also a bag that can grow with you as you pick up more and more equipment, they sell awesome add-ons and the build quality is phenomenal + it's just cool looking gear! LOL

image028.jpg

Last edited:
Grats on the camera! :)

As a broke college student myself, I went through 1-2 20-30$ bags before I finally decided my equipment was worth a tad bit more of an investment in its protection. I went for the Lowpro Slingshot 200 and its been great. It fits my 50D gripped so if you happen to get a grip its great. The slingshot design makes it great for someone who likes to travel with the bag and it being there when needed. Also if you get the sizing right you can use it in the front position as a stable platform for an elbow when around. I purchased it at a local camera store and it ran me about 80-90$. Here's a link.

Lowepro - SlingShot 200 AW

As you can see they're advertising it at 110$ but your local stores may be in the 80-90$ range, as mine was. Let me know if you can't try it out at a store and have questions, i can take some stills/video of it in action. I've grown to really love the design and it fits my flash and, when i have enough money to purchase them, some glass :)

andrej

p.s. I forgot to mention, there is a built in weather covering that comes out from the bottom and covers the bag in a plastic grey cover to protect the case then tucks away inside when you're not using it. wonderful thing...

That bag looks great! I might just take you up on that offer if the shipping isn't too horrendous. Thanks!

No problem! I assure you there is nothing wrong with the bag. I just priced it to move. It's in the way. Figured I would help someone out with a good deal! ;)

I suggest you go for it! Wish i saw one of these deals before i shelled out 80$ :p j/k totally worth it.

Just bought the bag that Colin was offering :)

Pretty awesome...I'm super excited. But now I'm going to have to get by with the old 2gb SD card I have in my P&S until I can scrounge up some money. God knows what kind of write speed that thing has. Need to sell this rc car of mine.

Thanks again, Alex! I'm sure you'll love it!

You might be surprised how much you can do with a 2g SD card. That's why I started with, and I could get 500 shots on it fairly easily.

Careful though, make sure you know when you're taking shots you want to have a lot of control over.. i have a 4gb and RAW + JPEG on the 50D i can take about 150.. i use large fine jpeg and its a 15megapixel camera, but just plan ahead when you're going to want to shoot RAW to plan for less pictures. You can also choose to do a medium fine or small fine jpeg, this will all help increase how many you can take.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back