d90 vs d80

tonynitz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
alright, i know that the d90 is better but, how much better? is it worth the extra $450? around here i can find the d90 for about $1,300 and the d80 is like $850. what do you guys think?

Must say the D90 seems VERY expensive to me. The Pentax K20D is cheaper and on face value a better camera. If you want to go Nikon I'd definatly go for the older D80 purely based on value for money. It's not going to do a bad job, it's a Nikon afterall, and do you need the extra 2megapixels? (admitadly the K20D is 14mp against the D90's 12 but using it as an example to show the difference in price)

Video mode aside (it's weak compared to it's actual function of taking pictures), the D90 offers better noise control as it has a CMOS sensor vs the D80's CCD. When looking through the D90's viewfinder you'll see 96% of the captured frame vs 95% for the D80; which seems negligeable. Another benefit of the D90 is it's main benefit in my eyes; noise control. The CMOS sensor is better in Noise control. Tests put the D90 and the D300 next to each other for noise control; which the D90 has the D300's sensor but slightly modified. The D90 also inherits the D300's rear LCD which is bigger and higher resolution compared to the D80.

I just bought a D300 two days ago because of the noise control and the autofocus system (the D90 is a slightly better version of the D80 in your case). I can say that my D80 started getting fairly noisy after 800 ISO. The D300 is good until 1000 or more in my limited use of it this far, which as mentioned, should be right in line with the D90.

I'd lean more towards the D90 just because of noise control and the rear LCD. I forgot to mention Liveview, but honestly I don't like it on the d300.

D90 will serve you for years. But $1,300?? Where did you get that price? Is it body only or with some pimped out lens?

If you are going to pay $1,300 for a D90 in the US or Canada without a kit lens, you are overpaying. It's $1000 for the body-only in either country.

To address your question: yes, the D90 is worth the cost over the D80. The sensor performance is better by one or two stops (three if you use B&W and have noise or grain as an effect) and metering is much better. The D80 has the same flawed metering as the D40 where the D90 nails it every time.

If you are going to pay $1,300 for a D90 in the US or Canada without a kit lens, you are overpaying. It's $1000 for the body-only in either country.

To address your question: yes, the D90 is worth the cost over the D80. The sensor performance is better by one or two stops (three if you use B&W and have noise or grain as an effect) and metering is much better. The D80 has the same flawed metering as the D40 where the D90 nails it every time.

Got mine for about $900 body only from Amazon

Sometimes I wonder......Am I the only one who realizes that the D90 has dropped in price? The local store had them (body only at 999.99 still). I see used ones (actually selling) for upper 800's and low 900's for body only.

B&H PHOTO has the D90 Body for $869.00 BRAND NEW!!! You can buy a D90 and MB-D80 for a grand (which I plan to do when tax money comes).

Considering that through B&H it's only a couple hundred difference between the bodies, it's definitely worth the extra money in my opinion. I'd just have a hard time buying a body that's been around for 2-3 years when new technology makes them "outdated" so fast. (unless it's something like a D70s or D50 for 300 bucks as starter camera).

Edit: I see I've waited too long to buy and the price has gone back up to $899. Stupid Economy. Oh well, that's still not a bad price considering it was $999 just a few months ago.

Last edited:
alright, i know that the d90 is better but, how much better? is it worth the extra $450? around here i can find the d90 for about $1,300 and the d80 is like $850. what do you guys think?

This was my exact dilemma a week ago and after getting comments and opinions on these cameras on this forum I had decided to go with the d80. WELL......I spoke with a friend the other day and as soon as I mentioned I was getting the d80 he told me not to and told me to go with the d90. I've decided if I'm going to be holding onto this camera for a while then I may as well get the updated version. I think you can get the d90 with a 18-55 or 18-135 lens at best buy for 1299.99. Now don't quote me on that but I think I remember seeing it.

I've had my D80 for a couple of months now and love it, i figured that with the money i saved from the better price the D80 can be found for(since the D90's release), i would buy a better lens. I'm sure it will keep me busy for a VERY long time..................

I've had my D80 for a couple of months now and love it, i figured that with the money i saved from the better price the D80 can be found for(since the D90's release), i would buy a better lens. I'm sure it will keep me busy for a VERY long time..................

I had planned to buy the d80 with the 18-200mm VR lens but I'm still weighing options.

Also I've noticed that the D90 doesn't have the built in flash like the D80 does .....or does it?

Also I've noticed that the D90 doesn't have the built in flash like the D80 does .....or does it?

The only Nikon camera that doesn't have a built in flash is the Nikon D3/x. Built in flash is considered "amateur" hour, and thus is present on EVERY non-pro body.

Ok I just saw pics of the d80 and d90 and on the d80 and you can see the flip up flash and on the d90 i didn't see one so I was wondering.

Most reactions

Back