Dachshund photo session

I like Smoke's edit and can see the difference. When I arrived she did mention that she tried to take their photos, but all were too dark. The house was white modern inside and some photos displayed were on the light airy side. My daughters both like the lighter photos for their children.

I am on several FB photography pages. On one the overwhelming majority of photos posted there are brown/orange and mostly low midtones. I figured out by reading the comments they use a certain preset in LR.

It all comes down to taste. I do appreciate the feedback and discussion. The DOF would have been better at a higher number. I think the C&C on this forum is valuable and what I have seen posted in general the C&C is given with good intentions.

I think the dual dog image would have been outstanding had the lens been stopped down a bit more. F / 2.8 often leads to depth of field that is insufficient for more than one individual, and I think that had a photo of the two dogs been made at F / 5.6 it would have had a better overall look on the two dogs, yet there still would have been an adequately-defocused background. I think that the color and white balance edits as done by gk and by smoke665 were a big step in the right direction.

Both parents and family, and pet owners are typically more concerned with emotion and expression and good presentation of the subjects, even at the expense of technical quality, but when you boost the technical quality the pictures are even better. There is no doubt that expression trumps techical quality and these few photos seem to have good expression/ presentation of the subject. I would consider 40 out of 100 shots pretty darn good in a situation like this.

Agreed, the more I research the more I find that a lot of good photographers will choose their aper. setting first and adjust their shutter and ISO to match.

@CherylL I didn't really change your image so much as moved the data around. One thing I'm moving more toward is variable exposure on an image. Using it as a creative tool to enhance the primary focal "points" (plural) in an image. It's possible to do it in camera if your model supports additive exposure on a single image, but it's much simpler either in Lr or PS. The eyes in the image I worked on, were very close to being on the money for exposure, nothing blown in the image, so it was relatively easy to pull everything else back.

I use a few presets in LR, primarily camera specific, and some custom ones, but mostly use Profiles.

There is a reason that the majority of the first automated cameras used aperture priority.

I think the dual dog image would have been outstanding had the lens been stopped down a bit more. F / 2.8 often leads to depth of field that is insufficient for more than one individual, and I think that had a photo of the two dogs been made at F / 5.6 it would have had a better overall look on the two dogs, yet there still would have been an adequately-defocused background. I think that the color and white balance edits as done by gk and by smoke665 were a big step in the right direction.

Both parents and family, and pet owners are typically more concerned with emotion and expression and good presentation of the subjects, even at the expense of technical quality, but when you boost the technical quality the pictures are even better. There is no doubt that expression trumps techical quality and these few photos seem to have good expression/ presentation of the subject. I would consider 40 out of 100 shots pretty darn good in a situation like this.

Agreed, the more I research the more I find that a lot of good photographers will choose their aper. setting first and adjust their shutter and ISO to match.

I choose mine in that order. I like to have at least a ss of 500 for dogs and kids if possible.

Well.... aperture plays a huge part in how a photo looks.... possibly you would be happy with automatic ISO setting in manual mode.. set your aperture and then set your shutter speed in a camera is free to set ISO value within the range you have predetermined. It works extremely well with today's newer high quality sensors. A few years ago it was not a viable method, but now it really is.

There seem to be quite a few fragile souls on this forum, so I hardly dare to say anything anymore.
If you're making unnecessarily pointed and judgmental comments like these, it's no wonder that you are used to seeing adverse reactions to your comments. But go off, keep blaming others...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back