Dammit (Vent)

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dammit, I friggen busted a roll of film this afternoon, I finished off the last remaining four shots on some mallards swimming in the river, Turned around flipped the camera over pushed the button, flipped it back over and began to wind it only to hear it go click..... I flip it back over and the button is up :banghead:

This roll had on it test shots from all of the new lenses and teleconverters I aquired last week as well new macro works. Comparison shots between my two 400mm lenses, shots from my Canon FD 135mm f/2.5, Some goofing around with 1600mm and some two hours worth of super macro focusing all likely lost.

Since I do have some darkroom experiance I do know how to get it out, but since it's been so long since I have, I prolly screwed it up. Now it's just sitting there in it's cassette in a black can waiting for me to decide if I want to spend the money on getting it processed or not.

The wildlife stuff is not likely reshootable but everything else is, it's the fact I pushed the damn button that pisses me off the most :angry1::angry1:

OK, I'm done now, I feel a little better, it doesn't erase the rookie mistake but, it's off my chest.

Last edited:
Happened to a friend of mine the other day, too. Thought she'd lowered the button but hadn't. Film got torn. She saved it somehow, decided to have it developed, only for the drugstore people/lab people/transport people inbetween, whoever ... to lose her bag entirely.

Dammit, I friggen busted a roll of film this afternoon, I finished off the last remaining four shots on some mallards swimming in the river, Turned around flipped the camera over pushed the button, flipped it back over and began to wind it only to hear it go click..... I flip it back over and the button is up :banghead:

This roll had on it test shots from all of the new lenses and teleconverters I aquired last week as well new macro works. Comparison shots between my two 400mm lenses, shots from my Canon FD 135mm f/2.5, Some goofing around with 1600mm and some two hours worth of super macro focusing all likely lost.

Since I do have some darkroom experiance I do know how to get it out, but since it's been so long since I have, I prolly screwed it up. Now it's just sitting there in it's cassette in a black can waiting for me to decide if I want to spend the money on getting it processed or not.

The wildlife stuff is not likely reshootable but everything else is, it's the fact I pushed the damn button that pisses me off the most :angry1::angry1:

OK, I'm done now, I feel a little better, it doesn't erase the rookie mistake but, it's off my chest.

If it's just C41, if you take it to a ritz, you won't get charged if there's nothing on it.

Damn Battou I feel your pain. Yesterday I was going to develop a roll that had been in my camera for half a year only to drop the film while trying to roll it onto the spool. It got twisted and when I was winding it it jammed repeatedly. Eventually I grabbed some scissors and cut the film and started winding the second roll with the remainder which turned out a bit better, but I still ended up with scratches, dust, and decapitating a friend of mine.

Happened to a friend of mine the other day, too. Thought she'd lowered the button but hadn't. Film got torn. She saved it somehow, decided to have it developed, only for the drugstore people/lab people/transport people inbetween, whoever ... to lose her bag entirely.

Ouch, The lab I use is on it's last legs with me, if something like that happens to me they are done.

As for how to save it, The best way I can think of for those with out an actual darkroom (like me) is to put the camera into a dark bag and remove the film from the camera. After that it should go back into the cassette. This is not the easiest process in the world with out free range of movement, I feel bad for her if she went through all of that work only to have it dissapear.

If it's just C41, if you take it to a ritz, you won't get charged if there's nothing on it.

Well, I do not have Ritz any where near me. On the other hand the lab I use does the same, however the lab I use is stupid, I have had them print blank white and blank black before as well as some of those frames that should not be printed. At some point in the near future I'll see if I can find them but I do have prints (still) from the last time I did this a some years ago. They where all sorts of rainbow colors with white sproket marks...oh it was horrible, but they printed them anyways. I have that weighing on my decision this time around.

Damn Battou I feel your pain. Yesterday I was going to develop a roll that had been in my camera for half a year only to drop the film while trying to roll it onto the spool. It got twisted and when I was winding it it jammed repeatedly. Eventually I grabbed some scissors and cut the film and started winding the second roll with the remainder which turned out a bit better, but I still ended up with scratches, dust, and decapitating a friend of mine.

Ouch, your poor friend. When I did this I took the camera placed in a black bag that I then placed into a book bag I have loafing around and then went into the darkest room in the house. the last time this happened I found out the room is not dark enough to handle film, hence I used the two bags in addition. I tried to open the camera and just push it into the back into the cassette. I got maybe an inch and a half before the resistance was too much and the film was trying to crease on me. So I pulled it off the takeup spool in the camera and got the camera out of the way only to find the extra space was not helping. I ended up just ripping it out of the cassette completely, leaving the film in the bag upstairs and taking the cassette down stairs and opening it and then running back up stairs. I tried to trim down the end and cram it back into the spool slot after removing the broken peice, but with out a hole bunch that was kinda pointless, I ended taping it to the spool and rolling it up, then I shoved it into the cassette and capped it.

It's more or less the right way to go about it given my limited equipment and resources, but with how long It has been since I have done it I no doubt have finger prints, scratches, dust and some minor creasing to the edges, I do not believe I decapitated any friends, a duck maybe but they are no friends of mine so.

wait...what exactly happened? did you rip the film or somehting?

My dad did that with my Yashica Electro 35....my first darkroom experiance was fun---spensding 2 hours trying to open up the cannister to spool the entire roll back on the reel...then spending an hour trying to find where i set down my film....(not the best idea to set down the film....) then the last 5 minutes was putting the cannister back together and duct taping it together and jamming it into one of them nifty cannister the film comes in--also taped up. Just in case i didnt do a good enough job with the cassette. I had a blast walking into CVS with a wad of duct tape and handing it politly to the lady and saying "I ripped my film....glossy...singles--nicaise....be back in an hour"

wait...what exactly happened? did you rip the film or somehting?
That is exactly what happened.

*EDIT*
Here is a quick illusrration of what exactly I did
Picture10.jpg

*END EDIT*

My dad did that with my Yashica Electro 35....my first darkroom experiance was fun---spensding 2 hours trying to open up the cannister to spool the entire roll back on the reel...then spending an hour trying to find where i set down my film....(not the best idea to set down the film....) then the last 5 minutes was putting the cannister back together and duct taping it together and jamming it into one of them nifty cannister the film comes in--also taped up. Just in case i didnt do a good enough job with the cassette. I had a blast walking into CVS with a wad of duct tape and handing it politly to the lady and saying "I ripped my film....glossy...singles--nicaise....be back in an hour"

If you got the cassette apart correctly duct tape would not be neccessary, with a little work they can be thorwn right back together. If you ripped the film you can remove it from the cassette completely and then go somewhere with some light to open it. Getting it closed back down on the other hand is a challenge cuz that has to be in the dark.

Well, I sent the roll out and should get is back this afternoon. But in the mean time I was testing my new 100mm macro lens and just found out I was metering for 400 ASA with 200ASA film.....Oi. That's a mistake I can live with though.

Hope all works out ...

A few weeks ago, I actually popped open the back of my camera without rewinding. DOH! That's what i get when I shoot too much digital.

There's this new-fangled camera on the market that doesn't use any film. It's amazing!! No more ruined film, and no more paying to develop or dealing with chemicals.. It's called digital, and it's spreading like wildfire!!

Just kidding....

Tough break on the film, Battou..

Hope all works out ...

A few weeks ago, I actually popped open the back of my camera without rewinding. DOH! That's what i get when I shoot too much digital.

Well, I'll find out tonight or tomorrow (depending on wether or not I want to brave the weather to pick it up). Like I said, I was careful trying not to expose it but I could have screwed it up. Last time I broke a roll I did not bag it and screwed it all up, so I decised to bag it this time by. The last time I bagged anything was a few years ago when I swapped a roll of Rite Aid film into a Fuji film cassette for the Film is Dead photo, the Fuji film worked just fine after that so I think I just might be ok.

There's this new-fangled camera on the market that doesn't use any film. It's amazing!! No more ruined film, and no more paying to develop or dealing with chemicals.. It's called digital, and it's spreading like wildfire!!

Just kidding....

Tough break on the film, Battou..

As with anything new fangled, it's to gaudy and expencive for my taste, a broken roll of film is a small price to pay, especially when you can fix it on your own ;)

It happens.

Sucks. So far, I have never lost a digital image.

For what it's worth, I've corrupted a few images taken on SD cards that were over-filled. Those are irretrievable, but torn film can be salvaged.

Film > digital (still).

Well I feel your pain. I did that a couple of times when I was in a hurry.

Most reactions

Back