Dance show pictures - CC would be appreciated..

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend of mine was contacted by this local dance group that have been putting on a show for the last few years. While they didn't have any money, they were wondering if we could come photograph.

Having never done a dance show before, and always wanting to try new things and potentially add to my portfolio, I went along. They were mainly looking for photos they can use for promotional material, so I tried to snap some at somewhat odd angles to allow for space for text.

It was really fun. Hard has heck, as I don't have high end glass and my XSI can go up to 1600 (but its not too nice), so trying to freeze motion was more about finding the right time to snap when the motion was a bit slower.

All shots were done at ISO 1600, shutter between 1/60 and 1/160, aperture from f/2.8 to f/4.5 and mostly with my Tamron 28-75 lens. I did others with my 10-22 but I am not posting them here. I still have a bit more work to do on the noise, but there is only so much I can remove :(

I still have more to edit and go through, but there are more up on my flickr.

3650216698_125da62c0c_b.jpg

2. I tried to clone out that wad of tape on the ground but was unable to do a nice job. I'll have to tackle that again in a few days
3650218182_148045c2a1_b.jpg

3650218340_bf5aaa2430_b.jpg

3651258865_1615367c19_b.jpg

3651259121_77a251feb1_b.jpg

3651258651_785a6a912b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

I liked #2 Quite a bit. Just the over comp was nice.

I took a shot at getting rid of that wad of tape. Not my best, as I am trying to get ready for work...hehe, but I took a shot..

dance2.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

And thanks for getting rid of that wade of tape... gives me something to aim for hehe :)

I like them a lot however I wonder if capturing motion would be a good thing?

I'm no dancer and never have taken photos of dancers so take this as you will. But I see dancing as a motion, showing that would add to the photos. So your goal of freezing motion produced some fantastic shots IMO (#6 and #2 especially) however I think perhaps a few showing their motion would have been a good addition.

However.. I just did a google image search and didn't see a single image with motion blur so perhaps you are spot on with what you did. Most of the good photos I saw showed the motion through the dancers position, some even used the shape of the clothes.

Very good point Unmanedpilot. I do have some with motion, where the feet are blurred, or the hand. But I find these weren't as interesting in totally freezing the moment at the right time.

Thanks for the input though :)

I like #3, but maybe that's just because I am a sucker for attractive women.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back