Dandelion Photos for C&C

jaxx419

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two dandelion photos I took yesterday on my lunch break. It was kind of windy, so not sure if these are as sharp as they could be.
My thoughts on the first -- I was trying not to place the dandelion in the center so tried to angle it a little so it was coming in from the right corner. Haven't figured out yet how to not center flower photos unless I crop.
(1)
6846735751_1df0753c3e_z.jpg

My thoughts on the second -- I shot this two different ways, one had focus on the back dandelion, the other had focus on the closest... I liked this one better. What I don't like -- the dandelion in focus is dead center but I thought maybe the one to the right in the back helped make it a little more interesting?
(2)
6846745135_6eb534f3a3_z.jpg

I didn't edit the grass in these photos. Hard to believe, but the grass is actually really green in Texas right now. I'm ready for spring though, the trees all look dead, all the fall leaves are gone.. and flowers are minimal.

C&C welcome, hope I gave enough info. :p

Edit-
ISO 160
1/3200
f/2.8

// Round 2
(1)
6848499979_78e1b481b2_z.jpg

f/5 1/1250 ISO 400
-- Hoping the yellow flowers aren't distracting.. but I do like it better than my other horizontal shot.
(2)
6848526501_58b0c664e4_z.jpg

f/7.1 1/800 ISO 400
-- Wish i had plucked out a few pieces of grass that are in front... but I like how the stem is at least in focus in this one..
(3)
6848513313_03c0ca60a6_z.jpg

f/3.5 1/4000 ISO 450
-- I don't know how the piece of grass is so in focus, I had my focus point on the dandelion..

Any help on how I can have the background look more like the third photo in round 2, but also have the stem in focus would be appreciated... thanks!

Last edited:
I thought I did explain it -- thought it would be more interesting than having it right in the middle, straight up and down. Also, I was in my work clothes and couldn't really get completely down to its level without getting on the ground.

I thought I did explain it -- thought it would be more interesting than having it right in the middle, straight up and down. Also, I was in my work clothes and couldn't really get completely down to its level without getting on the ground.

There should be a reason for the tilt. Does it give you a different, more interesting perspective? Does it look better tiltled as opposed to not?

Does the tilt add in anyway to the feel of the picture? I dont think so, imo these would have both looked better level

I prefer #1 with the stem coming out of the corner. My advice would be to try and shoot these so that the horizon line doesnt show ( all grass/green background). The current background is a bit destracting. What apeture did you use? (helps if you post that along with shutter speed and iso). I personally would like to see the stem also in focus.

I'll try and reshoot today at lunch. I like the angle better than it being straight because it helps it look not so perfect if that makes sense and I don't want it just centered or off to the right or left of the frame. I will try to keep the background trees out and use the grass to fill the background.

OP updated with some EXIF data.

I was in my work clothes and couldn't really get completely down to its level without getting on the ground.

That means you took a photo that you know isn't the best which is fine but why are you posting it for critique? Show us your good shot (or two) instead .

ph0enix said:
That means you took a photo that you know isn't the best which is fine but why are you posting it for critique? Show us your good shot (or two) instead .

This was my "good" shot. I'm not going to post old photos that I don't remember anything about. Just because I couldn't get down and dirty since I was on my lunch break doesn't mean I dont think they are dome of my "good" photos. This obviously isn't my daytime job.

I did take more at lunch today of the dandelions and will post my "best" IMO later.

paigew said:
I prefer #1 with the stem coming out of the corner. My advice would be to try and shoot these so that the horizon line doesnt show ( all grass/green background). The current background is a bit destracting. What apeture did you use? (helps if you post that along with shutter speed and iso). I personally would like to see the stem also in focus.

Thanks-- I shot so the horizon line didn't show as you suggested and I do like it better. I also opened up my aperture so the stem was in focus a little more but didn't want the grass in the background to be in focus too much. There are leaves that can be distracting.

ph0enix said:

This was my "good" shot. I'm not going to post old photos that I don't remember anything about. Just because I couldn't get down and dirty since I was on my lunch break doesn't mean I dont think they are dome of my "good" photos. This obviously isn't my daytime job.

I did take more at lunch today of the dandelions and will post my "best" IMO later.

If you know you could have gotten a better shot by getting down and dirty then you should have done that. Otherwise you're just making excuses and taking snapshots for the sake of taking snapshots. When I see an amazing photo, I don't care what it took to produce it. I'm looking at the final product which is great and that's all that counts. It's not a matter of it being your daytime job. It's about trying to always take the best shot possible. Am I a great photographer? Nope! Do I get down and dirty when I feel the situation requires it? You bet ya! I don't always know how to best approach the shot I'm taking but when I do, I do what I think needs to be done. If I don't feel like getting down and dirty because I'm wearing office clothes, or I'm feeling lazy that day or "my dog ate my homework" then so be it but then I know that the final product isn't my best work and I won't be posting it in the forum for C&C. That's all.

I used my lunch break to practice not take award winning photos and i would hardly call them snap shots. I did put thought into these and did not just snap photos as i was walking I the park.

Other than the angle that getting down on the ground would have given what else could have been differently? Others managed to give some helpful tips.

If I understand your logic, you want to be able to take what you would consider "good enough" photos instead of amazing ones. The problem is that nobody besides you knows what your standard for "good enough" is so it's difficult to give you advice.

As far as the photos go: I don't know exactly what you were going for but to me it looks like there is not enough dandelion in the frames - too much background and not enough subject. Shots like that could work if done properly but these don't really grab me. If I had to pick a favorite, I would go with #3 in round 2 but that blade of grass in the foreground is really distracting and overall I don't find any of them particularly interesting. This is just MO.

Keep trying and get down and dirty for crying out loud! You won't regret doing it.

No, I always want to take "amazing" photos, don't we all? These are just my latest that I wanted to show and get c&c. Are they my all time best? Probably not but thats why i welcomed c&c and I'm just starting out so what I think is good might not be correctly done.

Also, i have no problem getting dirty as long as I don't have to return to work afterwards.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the grass in #3 is distracting.

Phoenix- you don't make it very inviting for beginners or anyone I guess to post photos. I thought I did it right telling a little of my thoughts behind each pic. Didn't know this extra thought process that needed to go into it. Maybe next time I will just leave out rather or not I got down n dirty. ;)

Most reactions

Back