Dark/Light, contrast? C&C appreciated

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo of my son yesterday, at the elementary school of my other 2 sons. I really like this photo... the funny thing is that he's only 2, but I feel like I can almost see into the future when I look at this photo! Almost makes me tear up a little. :D

I did some PP, and I'm trying to decide if I like it like this... I like the contrast between him and the background, but does it need to be brightened more, or is it enough contrast already? If you need me to post the original, I can. Thanks! :hug::

IMG_6815.jpg

Jeez, he's a cutie! I like this shot a lot. I'm no expert by any means, but it looks just right to me! :thumbup:

Tonal wise, I like it just the way it is. The composition I'm not sure.

What kind of future are you seeing for him, btw?

Love those glasses! As for the image, I think it is great. The overly dark background helps to keep the eye focued on your son, while the lighting in the hall provides just enough frame of reference. Great job!

Thanks everyone! I was pretty happy with it, but just starting out, I wanted to make sure I'm not just biased. :lol:

Thanks BTilson, I thought it was just me who thought that! He IS pretty cute!

Early, I'm only seeing a few years into the future for now. :wink: It's odd that in this photo he looks so much older than 2, and I can see him in that school, going to his class. As a photographer, I like the perspective of seeing the long school hallway over his shoulder, like he's saying "see ya later, mom!" and going to turn and walk down it. Oh, but the mommy in me can't even think about that right now!!!

Sydkid, those were my thoughts on it too. Thanks for confirming it for me!

You guys rock, thanks for the kudos. ;)

great photo, well captured moment.

the composition does not work for me, too imbalanced for my taste. Would prefer a square or 6/8 crop.

Its always reassuring to have someone else draw from an image the exact thing you wanted to portray in it. That, to me, is what photography is all about. Again, nice work!

what a completely adorable and fascinating kid!!! that picture is so great of him. his look is priceless!!
wow on a cool pic! and wow on a cute kid, mama!!

Thanks again Sydkid, I completely agree. I love being a storyteller, and it doesn't work if someone doesn't "get it"!

Thank you so much aprileve, I love this photo of him more every time I look at it. This one might be in a frame soon. I think I'm going to take the same photo in the same spot when he actually is 5 and going to school, and hang them next to each other. :D

Thanks for the feedback, Alex. It is appreciated. Could you show me what you mean with the difference in comp or cropping?

well, a square crop which I suggested would have the face centered (might be too boring for some people). And for a 6x8 I would cut away about one fifth on the right hand side, so there is less empty space. That would leave the lights, but crop away the doors on the right.

I like this shot. the contrast is great to me.

Love what you captured here. He's ADORABLE, truly.

Crop preference varies from person to person, it's just an individual thing. Centering or rule-of-thirds, I think it also varies from photo to photo. Here, I am with Alex, personally, and would cut out the doors on the right, leaving a little bit of hallway, but cropping out that excess.

Great shot!

That is too stinkin cute! He's too stinkin cute! I'd love to see this shot in color! I like the crop and I don't think anything needs to be changed... thats me personally

I dunno... I felt I wanted more brightness/contrast and a touch of sharpening as well. I poked at it and this is what I came up with. (cute pic, btw)

IMG_6815.jpg

Most reactions

Back