Dark Spots In Photos

joislpd264

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do I get rid of the dark spots in my photos.....I think I also read something in one of the forums about "sensor dust"? What is the best way for this to be removed from the camera and how do I make it go away in the photos I've already taken or is that even possible?

Thanks for all the help....I will take all I can get. I have a Nikon D40 with three different lenses.

Well to get rid of them in the photo, if you are using CS/Photoshop then the clone tool is your friend. You will need to clean the sensor/ filter or have it cleaned, if you arent comfortable doing it yourself.

Let me guess, you went to the beach? You could try using compressed air, making sure not to begin spraying in the camera first, as you might get it wet. There should be a setting that allows you to expose the sensor (with the lens off of course).

I would not use compressed air. I have heard horror stories with those.
I would just buy an air blower. You can find them in any camera store for cheap. You should have one anyways to clean up your lenses.
Then go you menu and put your camera in cleaning mode (mirror up), hold your camera like if you were taking a picture of your feet and blow a little air in there. It should be enough to get rid of the obvious dust.

I would not use compressed air. I have heard horror stories with those.
I would just buy an air blower. You can find them in any camera store for cheap. You should have one anyways to clean up your lenses.
Then go you menu and put your camera in cleaning mode (mirror up), hold your camera like if you were taking a picture of your feet and blow a little air in there. It should be enough to get rid of the obvious dust.

Yeah, that would work even better. I guess just working in a darkroom for four years got me to use compressed air a lot.....I just got used how to hold it and how much to pressure to use.....which is why I mentioned not to start in the camera but rather away. Many people press to hard and to use it too close to the object (camera, film, etc) and basically freeze it.

Compressed air is a bad idea .. you can get tiny flecks of frozen liquid shoot out, and when they get on your sensor, you're toast.

Let me guess, you went to the beach? You could try using compressed air, making sure not to begin spraying in the camera first, as you might get it wet. There should be a setting that allows you to expose the sensor (with the lens off of course).

Yeah... reeeeeeeeeeally not a good idea.

There are some specialized canned air items out there you can use, but generally best to use a bulb blower... or just to hire someone else to do it.

BTW, we're all also kind of assuming OP has sensor dust but we don't know that. OP, can you post an example shot?

Most reactions

Back