Darkroom on a budget

Most municipal waste water treatment facilities can accept darkroom chemicals. I just poured them into the drain when I did it.
That's correct. After all, how much of this stuff is left ? No more darkrooms in every second home. Few left. Only... :apologetic:

What do you do with enlarger? I want to start my own darkroom at my place and I'm trying to find the best deals on the equipments. Also where do you dispose the chemicals?
Welcome in the forum !
Where are you located ? Maybe I can help.

The safest way to dispose of chemicals is to take them to a place that accepts them. If you have municipal water, it's probably fine to dump them down the drain, though it's not really ideal. If you live in a house with a private septic tank, I wouldn't dump them down the drain, especially the fixer. The silver in used fixer can mess with the bacteria that need to be in the septic tank.

At the very least have the bottles clearly marked. A long time a go I had fixer made up in a water jug sitting by the kitchen sink ( where everybody stores their darkroom chemicals right!) My roommates friend came over and I guess he was thirsty because he took a big swig of the fixer. He spit it out before swallowing. I do not remember but I think it was powder kodak general fixer. Pretty sure it was acidic and not very good for you. I use all amber glass now and consider the cost negligible. The chemicals last longer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back