Darkroom Print 19

This gaze grabs my eyes immediately and the black ears help pointing to that. I like the overall feeling, eventhough I think that the body-tail is a bit darker than I would prefer (to have more balance maybe).

What a strange looking print for such mundane materials! Well done, I think.

lovely tone, grain, 'look'
what is that animal?

The animal is called an eye eye or aye aye or something like that. The pronounciation is I I. I like it but Its to centred for my liking. That is, his head is right smack bang in the middlle of the shot

What IS going on in the background there, anyways? Is that on the negative, or did you do some post work somehow to get that painterly texture?

What IS going on in the background there, anyways? Is that on the negative, or did you do some post work somehow to get that painterly texture?

This is a scanned darkroom print and I have not done anything to the digital copy.
I did add and removed exposure time when I did the print.
This to make a more even tone to the print.

There was glas in front of this object and you can also see little reflactions in the picture.
The film is also pressed to ISO 1600 and developed in D76 at 1.1, this makes a more grainy picture which I find to works very well in this case.

Great print, I like it vm. But are you sure it was Nikon ? Looks very soft and mysterious, like Holga.

Great print, I like it vm. But are you sure it was Nikon ? Looks very soft and mysterious, like Holga.

Yes in quite shore about the equipment :)
The picture is taken in poor light and handheld.
So it wide open and I also think I hade to go down to 1/60s.
The film is also pressed to ISO 1600 and developed in D76 1+1 so its a quite grainy.

Many thanks for the nice comment!

I'm sure the Holga comment is from those darkened corners, looks like the classic vignetting from a Holga plastic lens. ;)

I personally love this! For me, centering here was the right call - there is only one subject and it's that inquisitive little face. The focus falling away from the center only pronounces the face and ears better, and the whole thing is framed nicely by the vignetting. It looks like you took a dodging tool or your hand and circled around to burn in those corners, and you did great.

It looks like a bromoil print and, as an alternative-process geek, it's no surprise that I love it. :goodvibe: Great job!

I'm sure the Holga comment is from those darkened corners, looks like the classic vignetting from a Holga plastic lens.
No, the general softness of the image is very much lo-fi like. Holga would have a hard time to render the background in the way it is (f/8 lens), but Nikkor of f/1.2 made it perfect plus the lightning is fantastic.
Plastic lenses of Holga are becoming a little to perfect lately :)lmao:), I have 4 of them, only one is vignetting and none has a light leaks. Vignetting one stays, rest is for sale. :lol:

I'm sure the Holga comment is from those darkened corners, looks like the classic vignetting from a Holga plastic lens. ;)

I personally love this! For me, centering here was the right call - there is only one subject and it's that inquisitive little face. The focus falling away from the center only pronounces the face and ears better, and the whole thing is framed nicely by the vignetting. It looks like you took a dodging tool or your hand and circled around to burn in those corners, and you did great.

It looks like a bromoil print and, as an alternative-process geek, it's no surprise that I love it. :goodvibe: Great job!

There was a few steps to make this print.
But the vignetting is mostly as the negative made it.
The olny light sources was from above.
But the background above his back and head towards the top left is origanly very bright.
And I added quite a lot of exposure there.

Many thanks for your nice feedback!!

I'm sure the Holga comment is from those darkened corners, looks like the classic vignetting from a Holga plastic lens.
No, the general softness of the image is very much lo-fi like. Holga would have a hard time to render the background in the way it is (f/8 lens), but Nikkor of f/1.2 made it perfect plus the lightning is fantastic.
Plastic lenses of Holga are becoming a little to perfect lately :)lmao:), I have 4 of them, only one is vignetting and none has a light leaks. Vignetting one stays, rest is for sale. :lol:

Can't say that I have seen a Holga picture that don't vignetting, not a 120 film ver.
Have you remove the 6x6 framing mask that the camera comes with?
You then get a little bigger negative a more vignetting.
But you need to tape the edges unless you loves heavaly scratched film.

The 135 on other hand don't vignett unless you get the BC ver which stands for black corners.

Many thanks for your nice comment!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back