Dashing Through the Snow

Zada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Comments and critiques welcome

0Molly.jpg

I do have a question... In most of the pictures I take of her you can't see her eye as you do in this one... it just blends in and her face just appears black all the way through. Is there anyway I can change that?? Or is it just the lighting?

Beautiful horse..

As for the eye comment, I'd say it's just the light. Black eye, black fur. I tried taking pictures of my sisters black dog and it was a pain. The black fur plays hell on my autofocus too!

I like your picture though. Part of which I like is the DOF. Most will say otherwise i suspect, and I suggest on others maybe a deeper DOF would be best, but how it keeps the head in focus really makes your attention go to her eye.

What were the details? Apt. & Shutter speed?

Darn!! Sometimes I get lucky and you can actually see her eye... I thought maybe there was a way I could fix that.

Unfortunately I'm a noobist and I just had it on autofocus for this one... I was playing around with my camera but I literally suck at fixing the settings myself. Just gotta practice some more I suppose!

Thanks for your comments :)

Haha. You'll defenitely want to use auto focus. You'll have a fun time trying to focus a moving object. Maybe you've noticed that it hunts though. At least my L lenses see black and start running. They go from one end to the other and normally they are lightening quick.

I shoot most of my pictures in AV mode, so don't feel bad. I use AV mode to adjust DOF and shutter speed. I normally shoot action sports though.

Like you said, we're all here to learn!

What does AV mode do?? I've never used it

Aperature Priority. You can select the F-stop and it'll stay at that f-stop. Lower the number, the faster the shutter (less blur on moving objects). Like the iris in your horses eye =)

If you have a variable aperature lens (ie, 18-55 F3.5-5.6) it will switch on you while you zoom because the lens cannot do F3.5 at 55mm zoom.

And just to cover the basics, the lower the Fstop the shallower the depth of feild (in focus). Example, shallow DOF on macro images.

Wow thanks so much!! I'll definately try that next time I can convince them to run around LOL!!

I'm from the Calgary area too! :)

Yea, A horse isn't exactly like a dog hey? You can't throw a stick.. :wink:

Yea I noticed you were from Alb. a post up and realized we already got into discussion regarding dirt bikes =) I noticed you changed your picture. Wasn't aware you lived in Calgary though. I thought you stated you were riding near Jasper? Somewhere a ways from here. Maybe B.C somewhere. Invermere?

Is the horse yours? I have a friend who rides horses down near Okotoks. I should go take some pics someday, then again if there were any good possibilities I'm sure her husband would be there taking pics. He's the guy I normally take pics with around here on hikes, etc.

Anyways, this guy's off to bed. Another long day of work tomorrow!

Later

Yeah the horse is mine... she's actually only 10mos old :) Thanks for all the helpful info!!

Anybody else???

oh how pretty. What breed is she? shes lovely.

Thank you :) She's a registered paint... but she came out solid!

kinda weird that this is in what is now a people section...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back