Dates for copyright

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was going to put the copyright info on the backs of my photos. Should I put the date it was shot, date it was printed or the all inclusive dates of all my photos? (Like 1988 to 2012)

Also, do I just put copyright date and my name or should I put something else with the copyright notice?

I use just the year.
Be sure you are registering your copyright too!!! Every 3 months!

The US copyright office covers the requirements/particulars of Copyright Notice in Circular #3:

U.S. Copyright Office

As MLeek alludes to, if the copyright isn't registered it has no legal traction.

Last edited:
A copyright mark has 3 parts... the symbol, the year the item enters the marketplace for purchase, and the author. Even if I took a photo 3 years ago, if I suddenly decided to make it available online for sale today, the copyright mark would look like this...

© 2012 R. Jason Smith

I hope this helps... :)

Well, sort of......."enters the marketplace for purchase" is not very accurate.

From - http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf (added emphasis)
Visually Perceptible Copies

The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all three elements described below. They should appear together or in close proximity on the copies.

1. The symbol © (letter C in a circle); the word “Copyright”; or the abbreviation “Copr.”

2. The year of first publication. If the work is a derivative work or a compilation incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the derivative work or compilation is sufficient. Examples of derivative works are translations or dramatizations; an example of a compilation is an anthology. The year may be omitted when a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work, with
accompanying textual matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or useful articles.

3. The name of the copyright owner, an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of owner.

Example © 2007 Jane Doe

Note: they are referring to the legal definition of 'publication', not the street definition.

Are Photographs Posted On the Internet Published? | Photo Attorney

Most reactions

New Topics

Back