Day off work, time to get out!

Looks like you had a good day off.
Indeed!
Very nice set of shots. Were these taken in Maryland? Do you know what #4 is?

Thank you. Yeah so far all my shots have been in MD. Soon NC though. Can't wait. I think it's a snowy egret. From what I gathered.

Indeed!

Thank you. Yeah so far all my shots have been in MD. Soon NC though. Can't wait. I think it's a snowy egret. From what I gathered.

For sure not a Snowy as they have black legs and yellow feet and black beak. The beak resembles a Reddish Egret white morph but the legs don't. Whatever it is it's not a common bird to North America. Why don't you post it here? Help Me Identify a Bird I would love to know what it is.

Indeed!

For sure not a Snowy as they have black legs and yellow feet and black beak. The beak resembles a Reddish Egret white morph but the legs don't. Whatever it is it's not a common bird to North America. Why don't you post it here? Help Me Identify a Bird I would love to know what it is.
Agreed, that is a mystery bird for sure. You can also post it on the flickr ID help group here.. Bird Identification Help Group | Flickr Just make sure you add the state and date the image was taken (and country) however don't use initials since it is a worldwide group and they may yell at you, lol... I am quite curious what it is as well. It could be a hybrid since the leg color and beak color do not align with any common egrets/herons here...

I agree with others - looks like you had a great day off. As far as #4 goes, let us know what you find out as, to me, it resembles a juvenile Little Blue Heron which are white with a black-tipped, yellowish bill, but the legs don't look right to me as the juvis tend to have greenish yellow legs, so I am also curious.

WesternGuy

I agree with others - looks like you had a great day off. As far as #4 goes, let us know what you find out as, to me, it resembles a juvenile Little Blue Heron which are white with a black-tipped, yellowish bill, but the legs don't look right to me as the juvis tend to have greenish yellow legs, so I am also curious.

WesternGuy

I had another long-time birder look at it and he's unsure too. I'm very familiar with juvenile Little Blues, and the do have a blackish tip but more of a light blue to pale bill, not pinkish like this one.

I have another theory. It could be a bird that doesn't belong here, either an escape from a local zoo or something that got way off course during migration. It could be from South America or Europe or even Asia. I'm going to ask some foreign birders to look at it.

Here's a shot of a Little Blue in flight, can't see much of the legs but they aren't yellow. I've never seen one with yellow legs but it's possible.

p1989156156-5.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back