DC photos C&C please

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in DC earlier this week with my family and we went on a monuments at night tour. This was my first time trying any type of night photos. I took these with my D5100 and Sigma 17-70 lens. I used a tripod, shutter timer and shut off VR... Here are a few of the Washington Monument from different vantage points. I know they are a bit cliche but I'd love some feedback on what I could have done differently to improve these. I also have a question. In photo #2, why did the capitol building end up with a ghost reflection next to it? TIA for your comments.

$DC2014_Monuments1.jpg$DC2014_Monuments2.jpg$DC2014_Monuments3.jpg

Beautiful shots! I personally love night photography. AS for shot 2, the problem is that your tripod moved from right to left. If you look at the lights, there is a trail on the brighter ones. The capital building isn't as bright so the effect isn't quite as pronounced.
Keep up the great work, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

2: I don't like the interference from the tree branches and cranes.

3: I'd crop out the branches in top right, and bring the monument in focus. The sky looks very nice.

Last edited:
nice photos. You and your family had fun too i hope!

Thanks for your feedback and for answering my question. I really enjoyed the night photography and am going to make an effort to get some local practice in now that the weather is finally turning nice. The night tour was good but there was limited time at each location and I with my family so wasn't able to give the camera as much attention as I would have liked. Next trip to DC will be just for me!

2: I don't like the interference from the tree branches and cranes.

3: I'd crop out the branches in top right, and bring the monument in focus. The sky looks very nice.

Yeah, I agree but there was nothing I could do about the cranes. When I moved left to try to avoid the branches, the cranes were even more prominent. I'm not skilled enough with post processing to remove any of that. If the photo were better I might give it a try.

Re the crop on #3, I tried a bunch of different things and wasn't happy with any of them. Please feel free to take a shot at it - would love to see someone else's view.

@bribrius - yes we had a great time. Such a beautiful city and so much to do! We visited most of the museums and monuments and we had a tour of the White House (just the East Wing but wow!).

Most reactions

Back