DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just in case anyone is interested in visiting any of the Smithsonian facilities, non-commercial photography & video is allowed (like Park Service areas), however they don't allow tripods, monopods or selfie sticks.
Does " non-commercial photography " mean P & S cameras allowed only or will they accept dslr's as well? How do they determine who is going to shoot commercially?

I went with my students last April, and carried my D600 into most of the Smithsonian museums without any issue. I stopped because I wasn't taking photos my phone couldn't, and the extra security check because of my camera bag was starting to get annoying, haha.

Just in case anyone is interested in visiting any of the Smithsonian facilities, non-commercial photography & video is allowed (like Park Service areas), however they don't allow tripods, monopods or selfie sticks.
Does " non-commercial photography " mean P & S cameras allowed only or will they accept dslr's as well? How do they determine who is going to shoot commercially?

I went with my students last April, and carried my D600 into most of the Smithsonian museums without any issue. I stopped because I wasn't taking photos my phone couldn't, and the extra security check because of my camera bag was starting to get annoying, haha.
I specifically didn't take my camera bag for that exact reason. I had only brought two lenses and asked my wife to carry my second lens in her purse. :D

Like Jon said, DSLRs are fine. If you take a bag, they will poke around with a wand, but it's not a real problem. I found just carrying more stuff is a hassle so I try to go with minimum gear- the 18-55 kit lens works just fine. If I'm just running around outside or going to the Bot. Gardens, I'll take more.

In the Coffee House thread, @SquarePeg had mentioned late March. Easter is early this year...April 1st.

So just throwing some ideas out there...March 16-18? March 23-25?

Btw, my wife said I was weirdo and said I should bring a safety whistle...but it seems like I have permission to attend this event, haha.

Btw, my wife said I was weirdo and said I should bring a safety whistle...but it seems like I have permission to attend this event, haha.
March 23-25 is getting close enough to cherry blossom time... do we want to avoid that timeframe to avoid the masses of people? 2018 Cherry Blossom Festival - Washington DC | Cherry Blossom Watch

Haha, stay with me. If anything happens, I'll plan to scream with a very high pitch, which is my usual defense mechanism.

March 23-25 is getting close enough to cherry blossom time... do we want to avoid that timeframe to avoid the masses of people? 2018 Cherry Blossom Festival - Washington DC | Cherry Blossom Watch

Haha, stay with me. If anything happens, I'll plan to scream with a very high pitch, which is my usual defense mechanism.
I have an aluminum tripod - it makes a great urban melee weapon!

I haven't looked at what the paydays are in March, but I'm pretty much open to any of them.

If you want a special treat, the ESRI Fed Conference is on March 20 & 21 -- I'll be there, with several thousand other GeoGeeks.

In the Coffee House thread, @SquarePeg had mentioned late March. Easter is early this year...April 1st.

Other than Easter, I am completely flexible on which weekend we go. I was thinking March so we could avoid all of the New England school April vacation weeks which is when all of the eighth grade classes go to DC. Here in MA, April vacation week is based around Patriots’ Day and not around Easter.

Hey @Braineack and @snowbear - do either of you ever go to Menus | Cheesetique My cousin works there part time.

it's like my favorite restaurant. I go there often!!!! All three locations.

Tell them to open one in Fairfax for me please!!!!!

I’ll pass that along! Next time you go to the one in Del ray ask if Jess is working and tell her you know me from the photography website. She’ll be here Sunday for our annual family Christmas party so I’ll mention it to her and she won’t think your nuts.

you gotta watch out for me...

I'm totally down for this, and free most weekends. We've done this once before, was fun. No one died, but @The_Traveler took a tumble.

Last edited:

you gotta watch out for me...

I'm totally down for this, and free most weekends. We've done this once before, was fun. No one died, but @The_Traveler took a tumble.
I plan on attending. June and July have things going on but March and April are OK.

we could start the day off at the WWII memorial and Arlington cemetery, then head into the city.

Man, wish I wasn't saving my nickels for an Alaska trip in April. This sounds like a good time.

Man, wish I wasn't saving my nickels for an Alaska trip in April. This sounds like a good time.
Go for Alaska - I'm sure we can get a couple of the locals, if you come down here later on.

Most reactions

Back