DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never really got the chance, need to get back to the area.

Hi All. It looks like 3/9 - 3/11 works for quite a few of us. That's a month from now. Or April 6-8. I can do either of those but would need to finalize asap. Softball season is starting and I'm the scheduler, webmaster, umpire coordinator, registrar... for my daughter's league. After April 15th I'm not free until end of June and that is way too hot for me to be in DC! What do you think? 3/9 or 4/6 weekend?

@snowbear
@JonA_CT
@terri
@waday
@JoeW
@qmr55
@jowensphoto
@Braineack
@bratkinson
@photoflyer

I may just make it to Washington in March. Mid-to-late April I'll be on vacation.

As a retired senile citizen, I can come down from the Springfield MA area on Amtrak for $73 each way. Adult fare from Boston is $79 each way. As a 'frequent rider' Amtrak, I can cash in some never-expiring points, too! Now all I need is a decent hotel price. This past June, after checking a bunch of places online, I ended up in Alexandria for a night at $210 after the taxes. Anywhere within a block or so of a subway station works for me.

Just a heads up that flights are currently less than the train if you're flexible about the timing of your flight.

Let me know what you guys decide...I'll have to renegotiate with my wife, because train tickets have gone up a good bit.

Hi All. It looks like 3/9 - 3/11 works for quite a few of us. That's a month from now. Or April 6-8. I can do either of those but would need to finalize asap. Softball season is starting and I'm the scheduler, webmaster, umpire coordinator, registrar... for my daughter's league. After April 15th I'm not free until end of June and that is way too hot for me to be in DC! What do you think? 3/9 or 4/6 weekend?

@snowbear
@JonA_CT
@terri
@waday
@JoeW
@qmr55
@jowensphoto
@Braineack
@bratkinson
@photoflyer

I may just make it to Washington in March. Mid-to-late April I'll be on vacation.

As a retired senile citizen, I can come down from the Springfield MA area on Amtrak for $73 each way. Adult fare from Boston is $79 each way. As a 'frequent rider' Amtrak, I can cash in some never-expiring points, too! Now all I need is a decent hotel price. This past June, after checking a bunch of places online, I ended up in Alexandria for a night at $210 after the taxes. Anywhere within a block or so of a subway station works for me.

Just a heads up that flights are currently less than the train if you're flexible about the timing of your flight.

OMG, should I notify the authorities?

Let me know what you guys decide...I'll have to renegotiate with my wife, because train tickets have gone up a good bit.

I might have a couple used Coach purses if your interested.... Actually, many to choose from

I can't do weekend of 3/9. Might be able to do weekend of 4/6. Will check with the wife.

OMG, should I notify the authorities?
LOL

Is there a nice botanical garden in the DC area? And will there be much in bloom mid April?

Hah, I thought about driving down. Gas would be about $80 round trip. Tolls would be another $50ish. And then paying for parking wherever we decide to stay. It's easily a wash, haha.

The United States Botanic Garden and the National Arboretum are both in D.C. The garden is in the shadows of the capitol building on the Mall and the arboretum is about 6 miles away.

Things start to bloom in April. Weather is the wild card.

I have March 3/9 to 3-11 on my calendar. Let me know if that changes.

Is there a nice botanical garden in the DC area? And will there be much in bloom mid April?

The United States Botanic Garden and the National Arboretum are both in D.C. The garden is in the shadows of the capitol building on the Mall and the arboretum is about 6 miles away.

Things start to bloom in April. Weather is the wild card.

I have March 3/9 to 3-11 on my calendar. Let me know if that changes.

Weather wise, I'm leaning toward April when it will be a bit warmer during the early mornings.

One weekend is as good as another, for me.

Most of the Botanic Garden is indoors; the Arboretum is outside, though there is at least one building. There are a pair of Bald Eagles at the Arboretum, though I don't know if you can get to that area. I was last there a number of years ago for a silk painting class.

Both have websites that should say what is in bloom.

There are also a few smaller gardens among the Smithsonian buildings, along the National Mall.

From Arboretum website:
January& February
  • Witch-hazels, conifer foliage and cones, hollies in fruit, Japanese apricot, wintersweet, sweet-box, winter jasmine
March
  • 2nd week: Early bulbs, winter-hazel, wintersweet, sweet-box, cornelian-cherries

3rd week: Japanese-andromeda, winter jasmine, pussy willows

4th week: Daffodils, woodland wildflowers, flowering cherries

Most reactions

New Topics

Back