Decent wide angle lens for a casual?

dohlfhauldhagen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone. I have a Nikon D5000 and am more on the casual side of photography. I would like to purchase a wide angle lens mostly for nature and landscape shots. I have a 35mm Nikon lens, but I find that it is a little bit too zoomed in for some shots that I take. My price range is anything less than $350. I might be able to push $400, but I'd rather not. I'm also willing to by used! Thanks!

the 18-55mm that came with your camera does a pretty decent job! but if you are looking for a wide angle lens for that price range, you are looking into 3rd party lenses and probably used ones at that. tamron 12-24mm a sigma 10-20mm.

I'm trying to look for a wide angle too and surprisingly have been told the 18-55 kit lens is a great lens to start out with. Otherwise, if you can hit the $400 mark on your budget, I've read good things about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4, and Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 (the f/3.5 version is almost $200 more new). Those should be able to be had for under 400 used.

If you are going to "bust" your budget, get a 10-24 Nikkor.
This is what I use and have tried the rest.

For used, try the Nikonians.org buy & sell or the Fredmiranda.com forums

Most reactions

Back