Deciding between lenses...

sarahmcq

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi - I've been using a Nikon D90 with the standard kit lens for several years now (18-105mm VR) and am looking to invest in a new lens. I was considering a prime lens because quality's meant to be better? I'm interested in aspects such as bokeh and sharp focus and would be using it mainly for urban photography, candid portraits and some landscapes. Here's an example of some old work - Flickr: Sarah**'s Photostream - just for an idea, I haven't uploaded anything recent in ages. Budget isn't really an issue. Was considering these lenses and would really appreciate if someone would tell me which one would be most useful or whether I should opt for a wide angle or zoom lens instead. Thank you!

Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Nikon 1,4/50mm Nikkor AF-S 1,4/50mm G Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Nikon 50mm F/1.4D Af Nikkor Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-35Mm-...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312829673&sr=1-7

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
image quality for primes aren't necessarily "better" but they do go to a lower f stop value. for the uses you suggested, i would recommend the 35mm 1.8 (get the new 1.4 if you can swing it :p). i find that the 50mm on a cropped frame body like the d90 is too telephoto for urban work, though it does produce more bokeh. and i would guess the 35mm would also be better for landscape shots as its wider

For the stuff you mentioned I'd actually be looking at a 24mm. I don't know the Nikon lens lineup though. If money is actually no object, and Nikon makes a 24mm 1.4, that's what I'd get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back