Delay purchase of D90

coreduo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am an amateur beginner photographer. I had been musing on buying a Nikon D90 'for the advanced'. I have a Nikon D40X. But as I read those books on photography like for example, Ansel Adams THE NEGATIVE and THE PRINT and so many many more educational books like wedding, pet, landscape photography, I felt that I have to learn more from these authors. So I am need not be in a hurry to buy expensive cameras suited for the advanced until I leave the beginner's class.(as advice from a professional photographer. Besides, prices might go down in the future because of stiff competition. At present, I have been enjoying reading every book I can get hold of. I just love photography!

Last edited:
Are you asking or just making a statement?

I'm confused :)

All cameras do essentially the same thing...

Control Aperture
Control Shutter Speed
Control ISO

Other than that there are additional features you may or may not use depending on what your needs are. More 'advanced' cameras might have better sensors, more options and more control but as long as you understand the basics of photography there's really nothing getting in your way.

I think the biggest difference you'll notice is more direct input instead of having to go through menus to change settings.

Last edited:
Well, to be honest Canon has no competition.

:D

At present, I have been enjoying reading every book I can get hold of.
Don't forget to go out and shoot something once in awhile.

If the D40x is doing what you want it to do then just keep using it. But if you're starting to feel like it's not doing what you want it to do, then it's time to upgrade.

You're the only one who will know when it's time for you to move up.

If you are looking for some new toys, glass is the way to go. You will go farther with better glass then you will with a better body and stock glass.

The Nikon D90 is still an 'entry level camera'. It does top the list of Nikon's entry level bodies though. It is not an expensive camera, though I understand it costs more than your D40X did.

The D90 doesn't have the weather sealing of the D300 and up bodies. It has a plastic body, not metal like the D3's and DXXX and up bodies. It's very limited in the amount of auto bracketing it can do but your D40X can't do any so it would be a step up in that regard.

The main thing the D90 has going for it is it's image quality. Nikon's full frame cameras are the only one's in the Nikon lineup that beat it for IQ.
In that respect it's a great value.

I find film photography more challenging aside from learning the basics of digital. I love doing measurements on developer, bath and fixer. I love it when my developing turns out well. But I'd rather scan and print it from a scanner and edit it from my Elements software. The more high and complicated intellect my hobby demands, the more it becomes challenging.

Maybe when I've turned advanced or professional, I'd buy those expensive printers, learn how to frame and show off my pictures in a professional gallery.

With the pace that I'v been going through right now, and lack of educational requirements (I cannot attend night classes. Something in my sleeping pattern), I feel that it would take a long time before going amateur or semi-pro. All that I intend to do is to pacify or enlighten those with low MP camera owners for them not to strive too much for those expensive cameras or feel disappointed that you cannot afford them for the meantime until you've passed through amateur or beginners. [But please buy a DSLR). As the editor of Black and White Photography has written, " Pictures all depend on the photographher and not solely on the camera."

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back