480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I upgraded from a D60 to the D7000 a couple years ago, I found myself in need of a solid, usable SD card storage method that I could rely on. Not satisfied with the nylon & cheap plastic thingies the local stores carried, I embarked on a quest to search the World Wide Wonder to see if I could find the Holy Grail of SD Card Storage.

My journey soon took me to Delkin Devices, a California-based outfit that peddles all sorts of interesting gizmos and gadgets for the shutterbug. Memory cards, camera mounts, sensor cleaning aids and the like can be found on their site.

In hopes of finding what I had already engineered in my noodle, I sent off for their "Protective Tote" designed for eight SD cards (Item # DDACC-SD8). They make a similar unit for CF cards if that's what you use.

The Tote was sent enclosed in an easy-to-open clam-shell retail package, which is surprising in that it's not hypersonically sealed so you don't need an acetyline torch to open the package.

Rev01.jpg

Inside is eight separate 'compartments' for all eight cards. They are numbered 1-8, but when I insert the cards, the numbers are covered up. So I just use my own numbering convention.

Rev02.jpg

As I opened the Tote I marveled at how well the folks at Delkin had read my mind. Hard case. Waterproof. Crushproof. Soft rubber interior. And each card nestled carefully in it's own little cradle.

Rev03.jpg

I really hadn't been looking for something waterproof. After all, this would just ride along in my backpack 99.99% of the time, only to get taken out to exchange full cards for others eager to gobble up the days' images. So I immediately wondered, "Waterproof, huh? Well, we'll just see about that!" Of to the kitchen sink I sailed...... I wanted to see how this claim held up.

Rev04.jpg

I splashed water on it. Even right into the seams. Bobby Darin was echoing through my mind.... Splish splash, I was takin' a bath, long about a Saturday night! A rub dub, just relaxin' in the tub, thinkin' everything was alright!

Rev05.jpg

If this test was passed, surely it will fulfill the 'waterproof' claim when into every life a little rain must fall.

Rev06.jpg

After a 30-second shower, I grabbed a towel and carefully dabbed the water off the Tote. Of course, if most people had dropped this into a puddle or lake, their first reaction would be to do the same, then open it to make sure the precious cargo inside was high and dry. And did it stay dry inside?

Rev07.jpg

Pretty darned good, I'd say. Of course, some water may spill inside when you open it since there's a lot of space next to the seam where water can hide. So I'd recommend you not only clear off as much water as you can with a towel, jacket sleeve, pants or whatever you have handy, let it air dry as well before you open it. If a bit of water does get inside, it may not do much damage since it's such a small drop and you would remove it immediately any way.

OK, so what about soaking the Tote? Would my cards be safe if the Tote would somehow get held below water? Again, off to the kitchen sink. I throw the strainer in, turn on the water, toss the Tote in, and............... it floats! Now, of course, it's empty (Hey, if you wanna risk 8 of your own cards, be my guest... me, I'm a stingy bastid!), so having it filled with cards may prevent it from rising to the top. But whatever........ this is a test. So I grab a small container next to the sink, fill it with water, and attempt to drown the little bugger.

Rev08.jpg

I decided to let it soak while I edit the images I've taken so far. I figure that would be long enough to see if it turns into a prune. But before I take it out, I wanna add one more insult to the injuries. I slosh it around in the sink, tapping it on the bottom, banging it around. You know... like if it got dropped in a stream or river. Would it still stay dry inside?

Rev09a.jpg

Sadly, No. More water got in than I had actually anticipated. Enough, actually, that had my cards been inside, I would be genuinely concerned about their integrity at this point.

Rev09b.jpg

But let's be honest, here..... how often will this actually happen out in the field? If you're going to be white-water rafting, I doubt you will be swapping out memory cards in the middle of the river. Of course, there's always the trip through the washing machine, isn't there? Now, to be fair to Delkin, they really don't state Waterproof on the package..... it's Weatherproof! Mother Nature may throw rain, snow, sleet, hail, and all sorts of unwanted precipitation your way, and I'm sure a short trip outside your camera case will keep your cards safe even in the mist of Niagara Falls. Dropping it into a raging river or sending it through the laundry is, to be honest, not exactly 'weather'.

Now, as to the Crushproof claim........ no.... I'm not gonna run over it with my truck. But having owned one of these for almost two years now, I can state that it has held up exceedingly well for me, acquiring a few battle scars along the route.

However, there's always a downside, and the Protective Tote is no different. If you bounce it around, drop it, or otherwise shock it, the cards inside may come loose.

Rev10.jpg

To mediate this problem, I've got into the habit of opening the Tote with one side flat. This way, if there's a loose card, it won't fall out. Around the house is no big deal. But out in the sticks that might end up being a disaster.

So my conclusion would be: Yep, I'd recommend the Delkin Devices Protective Tote. When I got my D7000, I loaded up with ten Class 10 cards. Now that I upped to the D600, I ordered two more so I can revel in (eventually) owning 18 SDHC UHS-1 cards (16 in the two Totes, the other two in the camera) so I won't get slowed down. Is it the Holy Grail of SD card storage? Well, for me it is. I really don't need the Weatherproof feature, but maybe you will. If so, then the Protective Tote is worth a look. All I really wanted is something in a hard case that will keep the cards separated. And the Tote certainly does that for me.

OK, now to put you out of your misery. Since you've got Splish Splash playing in your mind, I'll help you out here: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a clear, safety vest green SD card holder on Amazon several months ago. I figured with it being so brightly colored, if I dropped it, I couldn't miss it. Haven't dropped or misplaced it yet...

Very nice write-up, Sparky! They should pay you for that. ;-)

I took a quick picture this morning of what I currently use; I think I bought it from Amazon back in April or so of last year.

$Jan3_2013edit_web.jpg
What I love about it is that it's thin; I can easily slide it just about anywhere in my camera bag or throw it into my purse or a pocket. I also like that it has a place to write the date and a "memo" on the outside of each compartment. However, since I don't want to permanently label the compartments, I keep some strips of tape (which are stuck to the bottom of the holder). I put the tape on the lid of the compartment, write on it and then peel it off after transferring photos from that card to my external drive.
It's definitely not crush-resistant, weather-resistant, or even the-dog-mistook-your-SDcardcase-for-a-chew-toy-resistant, but since it pretty much stays in my bag, it's never been a problem. I especially like that you can open just ONE compartment at a time, so there's almost no risk of other cards falling out while you're changing out cards.

The Delkin looked a little intriguing though, and your write-up made me almost want one. So I went to their website just to look at them and see how much they were. Lo and behold--if you sign up for their emails, they'll send you one of these babies for FREE!!
Well, yeah--I like free!! So, I now have a Delkin weather-resistant, crush proof (but STILL not the-dog-mistook-your-SDcardcase-for-a-chew-toy-resistant, which is okay because I don't have a dog) sd card case on its way. I'll compare them and see which one I like the best.

These things are amzingly robust. I once found a neighbor's USB memory stick in the washing machine. It had been LAUNDERED at least once.

Worked fine.

These things are amzingly robust. I once found a neighbor's USB memory stick in the washing machine. It had been LAUNDERED at least once.

Worked fine.

There are stories of people finding digital cameras that have been in the ocean for years, or buried in mud. The cards are put into new cases, and the images retrieved. In some cases, the owners are found through posting the images online.

The Delkin looked a little intriguing though, and your write-up made me almost want one. So I went to their website just to look at them and see how much they were. Lo and behold--if you sign up for their emails, they'll send you one of these babies for FREE!!

Really? Where did you find that deal? I couldn't find anything about that on this page: Water Resistant Tote for 8 SD Memory Cards

Aha! Thanks! Nothing better than free!

ETA: I just bought a refurbished 64GB 450x (66MB/s) CF card for $19.99 plus shipping from Delkin! That's almost as good as free.

Last edited:
Mine is a Pelican. I have not tested its moisture resistance yet, but perhaps I will.

Excellent report, 480sparky!

Most reactions

Back