Denoise comparison between LR and Topaz Denoise AI

Any of you know how much CPU or GPU power the AI denoising SW uses.
IOW, will I need to use a GPU card to use these denoise SW?
These are the minimums

Hardware Minimum Requirements​

Processor (CPU)Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or above (3.0 GHz and above)
System Memory (RAM)8GB (16GB and higher is recommended for improved performance)
Graphics Card (GPU)OpenGL 3.3 or higher required.
Nvidia GTX 740 or AMD Radeon 5870 (higher series graphics cards recommended)
Dedicated Graphics Memory (VRAM)2 GB (6GB or more for optimum performance)
Display (Monitor)At least 1024x768

With that said, my system has an AMD Rhyzen 5 6 core 3.6GHz CPU, Nvidia GTX 1070 with 8GB, and 32GB system memory. I have DeNoise AI set to use my GPU, and a full session runs in about 1 minute, which includes opening the image, running all three denoise options in auto mode, and saving back to disk. The minimum requirements will work, but it takes a lot longer to run the process. A lot of people get all worked up, because they try to run the software on a standard notebook PC, which are usually underpowered, even if they meet the minimums, and the integrated video is very weak on those machines. If you have a good GPU, then use the GPU, since it should be faster. You can download a demo and test it out to get an idea of how well it works. Hope that helps.

These are the minimums

Hardware Minimum Requirements​

Processor (CPU)Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or above (3.0 GHz and above)
System Memory (RAM)8GB (16GB and higher is recommended for improved performance)
Graphics Card (GPU)OpenGL 3.3 or higher required.
Nvidia GTX 740 or AMD Radeon 5870 (higher series graphics cards recommended)
Dedicated Graphics Memory (VRAM)2 GB (6GB or more for optimum performance)
Display (Monitor)At least 1024x768

With that said, my system has an AMD Rhyzen 5 6 core 3.6GHz CPU, Nvidia GTX 1070 with 8GB, and 32GB system memory. I have DeNoise AI set to use my GPU, and a full session runs in about 1 minute, which includes opening the image, running all three denoise options in auto mode, and saving back to disk. The minimum requirements will work, but it takes a lot longer to run the process. A lot of people get all worked up, because they try to run the software on a standard notebook PC, which are usually underpowered, even if they meet the minimums, and the integrated video is very weak on those machines. If you have a good GPU, then use the GPU, since it should be faster. You can download a demo and test it out to get an idea of how well it works. Hope that helps.

Thanks
Sigh, looks like I will have to get a graphics card.
Right now they seem to be very inflated in prices, along with a lot of other computer stuff.

I checked ON1 NoNoise and it looks like it also requires a GPU card.

Last edited:
Thanks
Sigh, looks like I will have to get a graphics card.
Right now they seem to be very inflated in prices, along with a lot of other computer stuff.

I checked ON1 NoNoise and it looks like it also requires a GPU card.
Yes, graphics card prices are grossly inflated. Hopefully the supply chain and chip manufacturing situation will improve over the next year. Cameras and lenses have been affected as well.

OK.. Here is a quick question to anyone who would be in the know.

I have a 2009 iMac pro, but hackintoshed to Catalina.

will I be able to load this onto that machine or will the emulation of Catalina blow it out?

would I have to do what I did with capture One and regress to an older version?

will I be able to load this onto that machine or will the emulation of Catalina blow it out?

I’m surprised you can any new software to run on any 09 system, MAC or PC.

Does it have a slot to add a newer GPU, or replace the one there? If not you are way past time for a serious upgrade.

I’m surprised you can any new software to run on any 09 system, MAC or PC.

Does it have a slot to add a newer GPU, or replace the one there? If not you are way past time for a serious upgrade.
The memory and HD have been upgraded.
I purchased it because i dont have $1500 for a new one.

it works and CO works well onit.

Outside that I am wondering if i can run topaz on an emulated OS.

The requirements for Mac are below, so I think the answer is no. I also doubt that the GPU and CPU would be up to the task on a machine that old.
Mac:

macOS version 10.13 (High Sierra) and above (for macOS 10.12 use DeNoise AI v2.2.12)

Apple Silicon/M1 processors are supported in version 3.0.0 of DeNoise AI (and higher)

Most reactions

Back