Denoise comparison between LR and Topaz Denoise AI

I don't know if the noise reduction capability of Lr has declined or if I'm more critical, but had also thought about trying Topaz since they added AI. Looks like they may be onto something. In the last shot it appears they might not handle color noise quite as well (under man's chin).

Smoke, I thought of you when I began reading Brian's post because you have the latest version of LR while I have version 6.9 standalone, which is currently obsolete. I was wondering if Adobe had made any improvements in their NR algorithms.

Brian, your test imaging on the Morning Dove has convinced me that any type of NR software will definitely be an improvement over LR. I'm going to sit back now and see how many different software applications are being used from different members and their input of their software's effectiveness. Great thread!!!!

@Flying Panda I haven't had an opportunity to check out how Ver 9 handles noise yet. I routinely shoot high ISO, my avatar was at ISO 25600, the K1MII is rated to a native ISO 819200, but once above 51200, noise becomes significant. I try to manage some of that before it ever gets to Lr, by using the in camera High ISO NR, and Shadow Correction, as well as ETTR #1, but I might just be expecting more then is possible at the higher levels. Still I may give Topaz a try.

I'm using the latest lr version.

you can see, i masked the bird, feathered and then blurred the BG in PS. This was a technique i found on FM from a very accomplished bird photographer who shot Canon.

fake blur alert - call the photo cops!

Seriously though, great technique.

unsharp mask the piss out of the subject, and glassien bur the piss out of the BG.

Has anyone compared it to Neat Image? I've been using that for a long while, though must admit I don't use it to its fullest potential (it has a LOT of sliders)

Has anyone compared it to Neat Image? I've been using that for a long while, though must admit I don't use it to its fullest potential (it has a LOT of sliders)

I have Neat Image version 8.2.0 64bit. I have been using this software (Neat Image) for years and it has worked well for me but in my opinion, it is not very user friendly. It has a learning curve one must go through and the reason I haven't tried other software is because it has taken a great deal of trial and error (time) to accomplish the full effectiveness of the software's potential. I'm statisfied with the results I get from Neat Image but I really can't compare it to anything else, so there may just be something better on the market - don't know! I can say that the price for the standalone version is around $40 bucks (plugins are about $10 more) which may scare some folks away, thinking it is too cheap to be any good. But another thing about Neat Image is it has a sharpening algorithm with it that is sometimes useful - but like anything else, it can "over process" some photos.

‘That’s the version I have as well. There was a great tutorial on Topaz’s site a few years ago on using the options but typically I end up using the suggested settings with very little tweaking. I’ve been debating switching to a Mac and then will lose all my Topaz plug ins. While I do like playing around with them all, I don’t expect to re-buy the Mac versions except for De-noise which I wouldn’t want to be without.

The new Topaz AI Gigapixel looks like a winner as well - I may give that a go when the price drops a bit.
Are you sure Topaz won’t let you transfer your license to the Mac version?
I’d contact their sales people and tell them you’re switching computers. I think it’s highly probable that they’ll transfer the license for you rather than lose you as a customer

Are you sure Topaz won’t let you transfer your license to the Mac version?
I’d contact their sales people and tell them you’re switching computers. I think it’s highly probable that they’ll transfer the license for you rather than lose you as a customer
Yes I was actually able to download the Mac versions at no extra charge. Also was able to upgrade to all of the most recent versions for free. Great customer service on their part.

I've found that I like DeNoiseAI, and it is a regular part of my process. The following two images are before and after DeNoiseAI with no other processing other than to crop and convert from RAW to JPG. This pic is an extreme case, because I was trying to capture the image with just natural light coming in the window. AutoISO maxed out at the 25600 limiy I set in the Canon 90D. The final product after further processing looked much better than the original.

Before DeNoise AI
PepperTestBeforeDAI (2) by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

After DeNoise AI
PepperTestAfterDAI (2) by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Um, did you grab the correct "after" file?

FWIW, denoise wouldn't even have been necessary whatsoever on this shot. Still life in a controlled environment? Use a tripod, shoot at 100 ISO and a very very very long shutter speed.

I have not used either of those but I do use DXO's DeepPrime AI option. I'll apply it while at 400% zoom to see how much sharpness is lost and it is amazing how often I conclude that, without the noise it is actually as sharp if not more so.

Have you used the Topaz upscaling utility?

Um, did you grab the correct "after" file?

FWIW, denoise wouldn't even have been necessary whatsoever on this shot. Still life in a controlled environment? Use a tripod, shoot at 100 ISO and a very very very long shutter speed.
Yeah, believe it or not, that's the after. Probably a bad picture for the example.

Any of you know how much CPU or GPU power the AI denoising SW uses.
IOW, will I need to use a GPU card to use these denoise SW?

Most reactions

Back