Depth of Field question

Ch33chi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How can i understand depth of field better? I have been reading up on it, i know what it is but how can i improve my images. Any tips?
or should i just watch youtube videos and read books until my eyes bleed? :popcorn:

View attachment 67978

Last edited:
Well if you really do understand it, then no you shouldn't read more books. You should just go out and use it!

You say "improve my images." This implies that you did try it out and got some problems that you didn't expect? If so, what were those problems, specifically, and we can help you solve them.

Example photos always help too

Are you just trying to figure out how to have better bokeh?

At f/25 (what was used for the church photo), you've softened the image due to diffraction at that setting. F/8, maybe f/11 at most.

Canon Explains Exposure

Click "Play".

Try different apertures (make sure to adjust ISO / speed to keep the light level correct). Watch DoF change.

. . . I have been reading up on it, i know what it is but how can i improve my images. Any tips?
Next you need to understand how to control the DoF by the choice of lens focal length, point of focus distance, and lens aperture you use

You also need to understand how the distribution of the DoF changes as the lens focal length, point of focus distance, and lens aperture are changed. For many senic type shots you'll want to be familiar with hyperfocus - Understanding Your Camera's Hyperfocal Distance

Carefully consider the light quality and it's direction before you release the shutter.

Learn how to use the histogram display on the rear LCD to judge exposure, and understand when it's appropriate to change the light metering mode your camera is using.

Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure
Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Tones and Contrast
Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Luminosity and Color

Last edited:
This is very good, short and to the point explanation of basic characteristics of optical system.
Depth of Field
The definition on the DoF is right at the top of the page
I suggest you read the other stuff as well.
Good luck.

How can i understand depth of field better? I have been reading up on it, i know what it is but how can i improve my images. Any tips?
or should i just watch youtube videos and read books until my eyes bleed? :popcorn:

View attachment 67978

How do you feel that the image you posted has a problem with depth of field?

The issue I see with the photo is the exposure. The image is underexposed.

To answer your question I would suggest simply using dof to isolate your subjects. Practicing this will teach you all that is needed to understand dof. You will need to look closely at your shots to see how your adjustments (aperture, focal length) effects your shot.

Another thing that could help is to get your hands on a camera that will allow you to do a DOF preview. I know the Sony a55 does it, but if you're not on the A-mount, there's tons of film cameras that do it. That's the best way to see it in action AS you're shooting. My Olympus OM-1n and Minolta SRT-101 do it, and both are pretty easy to find on eBay or the like.

One of the stranger aspects of DOF is the way it expands the further you are from the subject. Let's say, for instance, that your 50mm 1.8 lens set to f1.8 has a DOF of 2" at 3 feet away (I'm making the numbers up for illustrative purposes-don't tar/feather me again PLEASE). At 10 feet, that DOF will be close to a foot. At 50 feet, it will be 20 or so feet. I think that should make sense.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back