Design Flaw in the D3100

this thread is ridiculous.

manufacturing considers 1 defect in a million to be really good these days

assume your camera had 1000 parts

simple math is you have 1000 times 1 in 1000000 something gors wrong

sad to say, it happens... it can happen with canon pentax or ANY camera maker

just bring it back under warranty

and paying more will reduce but not eliminate failurex

I've read in several forums that some Nikon's sent in for repairs get oil stains on them from the the guys at Nikon that fix it. Owners call back complaining, yet Nikon blames it on them and shrugs it off.

I'd go with Canon. Why?

-customer service
-L series lenses
-most entree level DSLR's and some pro are compatible with Magic Lantern firmware (Google if unfamiliar, it's amazing)
-professional DSLR's weather sealing
-I believe that they are ahead of the game compared to all other camera brands, both in HD video and photography (as well as everything else I mentioned above)

For those talking about Leica, I've never owned one and probably never will. I'm a Canon fanatic other than Nikon's compact cameras

You've got to be kidding me...

-customer service..
I've seen situations where Canon is just as bad as Nikon when it comes to service, taking up to 6 weeks for repairs to go through or equipment coming back without being fixed

-L series lenses
This is just being naive, just becuase it has a red ring on it, doesn't mean it's good. the 16-35(either version), 14mm(again, either version), 17-40, 24mm f/1.4L (also, either version), 70-200 non-IS, 24-70 v1, are the worst in their class. many older L series lenses such as the 24mm f/1.4L v1 aren't even weather sealed. Ho-Boy! those L series lenses are gooooood!!! Use a current leica m-mount, sony mount zeiss, expensive Nikkor, or a Fuji X-mount lens, and you'll see just how average L lenses (excluding the tele primes) are.

-most entree level DSLR's and some pro are compatible with Magic Lantern firmware (Google if unfamiliar, it's amazing)
And a hacked GH2 will outshoot them all too if you're into video. 100mbp/s video? yes please.

If it's a current Nikon and it's over $1000, it's weather sealed. I've SUBMERGED my D700 before and all I had to do was wipe it off. Is the 5D2 sealed? nope. 6D? nope. Is a sub $1000 Nikon D7000? yup. Same goes for PENTAX! Look at this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

-I believe that they are ahead of the game compared to all other camera brands, both in HD video and photography (as well as everything else I mentioned above)
You talk to ANY videographer who has shot on anything other than a DSLR and they'll tell you that the video out of them sucks balls. Sure they give you shallow DOF, but the compression and downsampling kills detail.

Last edited:
Don't listen to anything Sw1tchFX says about cameras or lenses. He only works at one of the busiest professional photo sales and rental places on the west coast, and has access to more chit on one rental room shelf than most small-town photo stores have in their entire inventory... and he also happens to have a taste for the good lenses...the really good chit...damn him!!! Fuggedabout what he says! Ignore him! I know when I am considering buying a lens, his knuckleheaded opinion is one of only a handful that I know I can trust. Srsly.:wink:

Sw1tchFX said:

-customer service..
I've seen situations where Canon is just as bad as Nikon when it comes to service, taking up to 6 weeks for repairs to go through or equipment coming back without being fixed

-L series lenses
This is just being naive, just becuase it has a red ring on it, doesn't mean it's good. the 16-35(either version), 14mm(again, either version), 17-40, 24mm f/1.4L (also, either version), 70-200 non-IS, 24-70 v1, are the worst in their class. many older L series lenses such as the 24mm f/1.4L v1 aren't even weather sealed. Ho-Boy! those L series lenses are gooooood!!! Use a current leica m-mount, sony mount zeiss, expensive Nikkor, or a Fuji X-mount lens, and you'll see just how average L lenses (excluding the tele primes) are.

And a hacked GH2 will outshoot them all too if you're into video. 100mbp/s video? yes please.

If it's a current Nikon and it's over $1000, it's weather sealed. I've SUBMERGED my D700 before and all I had to do was wipe it off. Is the 5D2 sealed? nope. 6D? nope. Is a sub $1000 Nikon D7000? yup. Same goes for PENTAX! Look at this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

You talk to ANY videographer who has shot on anything other than a DSLR and they'll tell you that the video out of them sucks balls. Sure they give you shallow DOF, but the compression and downsampling kills detail.

Canon has many customers, you can't expect them to get things done in a hurry. Not ever brand is perfect, I find Canon's customer service to be far superior. Ever hear of the Canon center/club in New York?

I never said that ALL L lenses are good! But honestly your opinion of them seems biased, every lens serves a specific purpose for the job the owner wants to get done. This goes for all lenses, not just L

I've seen more Canons out in the field than Nikon's in harsh weather conditions. Hmmm, wonder why? Weather sealing for Canon is more reliable IMHO.

You've got to be ridiculous about the video quality....lets hear you say that again when the Canon 1Dc comes out. Let me know when you find a shoulder HD video camera that is portable and has over hundreds of interchangeable lenses. Most shots missed by big video cameras are due to the lack of mobility and/or mobility. There are endless combinations of a DSLR video rig that will fit every users demand. It's funny how tons of videographers are switching to DSLR's. Fast to set up, many lenses to choose from, reliable. YouTube devinsupertramp and come back to tell me DSLR videos suck. He shoots with the 5D Mark II. Also, all great videographers know that it's not always the quality of the video that makes a good film, it's the story it tells. Don't be a spoiled brat, we could care less for the things that you have. Not going to argue with you, goodbye

Oops I repeated mobility twice :)

swiftparkour94 said:
Canon has many customers, you can't expect them to get things done in a hurry. Not ever brand is perfect, I find Canon's customer service to be far superior. Ever hear of the Canon center/club in New York?

I never said that ALL L lenses are good! But honestly your opinion of them seems biased, every lens serves a specific purpose for the job the owner wants to get done. This goes for all lenses, not just L

I've seen more Canons out in the field than Nikon's in harsh weather conditions. Hmmm, wonder why? Weather sealing for Canon is more reliable IMHO.

You've got to be ridiculous about the video quality....lets hear you say that again when the Canon 1Dc comes out. Let me know when you find a shoulder HD video camera that is portable and has over hundreds of interchangeable lenses. Most shots missed by big video cameras are due to the lack of mobility and/or mobility. There are endless combinations of a DSLR video rig that will fit every users demand. It's funny how tons of videographers are switching to DSLR's. Fast to set up, many lenses to choose from, reliable. YouTube devinsupertramp and come back to tell me DSLR videos suck. He shoots with the 5D Mark II. Also, all great videographers know that it's not always the quality of the video that makes a good film, it's the story it tells. Don't be a spoiled brat, we could care less for the things that you have. Not going to argue with you, goodbye

Lol this reply is a complete backpedal if I've ever seen one, you literally sat there in your previous reply and said that canons customer service is superior. I hate to burst your bubble, bud, but turn around is also classified under customer service. You also said that l series lenses are superior.

You see more canons in the field due to your point in the first statement; there are more Canon customers. Not because of the weatherproofing.

Sw1tchFX said:

-customer service..

-L series lenses

If it's a current Nikon and it's over $1000, it's weather sealed. I've SUBMERGED my D700 before and all I had to do was wipe it off. Is the 5D2 sealed? nope. 6D? nope. Is a sub $1000 Nikon D7000? yup. Same goes for PENTAX! Look at this: Antarctica 2009 - What Worked

If you're a CPS member, you damn well better expect to get things done in a hurry. That equipment puts food on the table. Just because there's a club in NY doesn't make customer service above and beyond.

Absolutely i'm biased! I have had the opportunity to shoot with just about everything a pro or studio would use on a regular basis from Canon's to Nikon's, Hasselblad's and Phases. It's my job to know what time it is.

You see more Canon's in the field becuase they had much better marketing in the 80's and 90's when AF became popular. AF in the 80's and early 90's was nothing like it is today. Canon redid their lens mount completely (overnight abandoning their existing FD user base..LOL @ customer service), and had a faster AF system than the Nikon's. As a result, sports shooters started using Canon's and seeing a bunch of white lenses on the sidelines became an enormous marketing asset to Canon. Up until the late 80's, someodd 70% of pro photogs shooting 35mm shot Nikons. Canon, Minolta, and Pentax were the amateur systems.

You've got to be ridiculous about the video quality....lets hear you say that again when the Canon 1Dc comes out. Let me know when you find a shoulder HD video camera that is portable and has over hundreds of interchangeable lenses. Most shots missed by big video cameras are due to the lack of mobility and/or mobility. There are endless combinations of a DSLR video rig that will fit every users demand. It's funny how tons of videographers are switching to DSLR's. Fast to set up, many lenses to choose from, reliable. YouTube devinsupertramp and come back to tell me DSLR videos suck. He shoots with the 5D Mark II. Also, all great videographers know that it's not always the quality of the video that makes a good film, it's the story it tells.
Again, this is just being young and naive... Why do you think the RED's, Black Magic's, Sony FS100's, FS700's, and C300's exist in the cinema world? BECAUSE THEY'RE DESIGNED FOR PRODUCTION USE. Studios put 5D's on the tricky rigs so if they fall off and break apart they're only out a measly $3000.

You need to stop talking, looking at your other threads, I'm not the only one calling you out on here......

The most annoying thing when threads like this devlolve into Canon v. Nikon are the number of people chiming in who don't use both on a regular basis. People making claims about Canon v. Nikon customer service who only see things from teh Canon or Nikon perspective. People claiming something about L series lenses who have never used the top of the line Nikkor.

I'll just say that both Derrel and switch1fx are probably the most experienced people in this thread when it comes to BOTH canon and Nikon. Derrel has shot Canon and Nikon a lot, over many, many years, as has switch. I shoot Nikon as my personal gear and I shoot Canon at work.

I can tell you that if you're saying customer service is a big difference, it's just not. I personally have dealt with both extensively. They're very similar. For the most part both very good, but they both have occasional issues.

L series lenses aren't categorically better than Nikkor top grade. Canon probably beats Nikkor with their big primes (ie 300mm f/2.8). The 70-200 IS II f/2.8 L is probably superior to any comparable Nikkor. Other than that, it's a draw or Nikkor whips Canon. The top of the line Nikkor standard zoom KILLS the L standard full frame zoom. Nikkor wide angles smoke Canon wide angles. Nikkor mid range primes are generally as good or better than Canon mid range primes.

Jesus christ with the magic lantern stuff, its kind of cool, but I wouldn't make a brand decision on it by any means.

Look, I love the 5DMkIII. It's an amazing camera. I love the Canon 70-200 IS II L f/2.8, its my absolute favorite lens I've ever used. I'm by no means anti-Canon, but this 'swtich to Canon non-sense is just absurd. The OP's friends' problem is a fairly uncommon issue. It's usually a card formatting issue, as has been noted. Always properly eject your SD card, and always erase by formatting in camera. This is something you should always anyway. Don't ever erase in computer. Format in camera. THis will solve all sorts of 'issues' before they ever surface.

Last edited:
Hang around cameras long enough and you are going to run into glitches now and then. It's especially rampant now with the comptetition to get the lastest/greatest loaf of sliced bread on the market before your competition does. Work with what you got until there is an issue with it. Most often they eventually find a work around to the problem and take care of them.

Shoot, used to read all the time about the dreaded ERROR 99...... but having 4 different models of the cameras that supposedly had this issue it never cropped up for me. Odds are low of getting one with an issue.

As far as waiting to get a repair...... that's when Nikon or Canon Services membership comes in handy, but now you have to have a certain amount of equipment at a certain level to get that.

I would enjoy your d5100, after all you have a year with Nikon and can extend that year out if you feel compelled. Don't think something will happen .... Just take pictures and enjoy your camera, you will be happier this way.

fjrabon said:
SNIP>>>>Always properly eject your SD card, and always erase by formatting in camera. This is something you should always anyway. Don't ever erase in computer. Format in camera. THis will solve all sorts of 'issues' before they ever surface.

You might pass those nuggets along to your friend. He might also be having an issue with his card reader or the card itself...with a computer involved, there is ALWAYS ample opportunity for computer SNAFU's. I hope he can get his D3100 issue sorted out.

I would enjoy your d5100, after all you have a year with Nikon and can extend that year out if you feel compelled. Don't think something will happen .... Just take pictures and enjoy your camera, you will be happier this way.

I am enjoying it as well as all of the obtuse comments that have spawned from my asking for advice. I should have listened to the 30 year Photogs at my local camera shop and stayed away from the big bad sacrastic interweb.

Anyway I can cancel my account on here?

I am enjoying it as well as all of the obtuse comments that have spawned from my asking for advice. I should have listened to the 30 year Photogs at my local camera shop and stayed away from the big bad sacrastic interweb.

i dont think you can actually "cancel" an account. people just quit logging on. OR, you can message an admin about it.
not to sound "obtuse" or anything, but if you are this easily discouraged, I hope that your interest in photography is purely amateur for your own benefit. What you have gotten here is pretty tame actually, as this thread didn't have to be locked down by a Mod...and if you think what people say on the interwebs is bad, try dealing with actual paying clients....can be BRUTAL. sorry to see you go, but i would recommend hanging out a bit longer and toughing it out here. you will get more respect in the long run if you can suck it up and move on.

You can't do that by yourself. The best way is to simply stop posting.

Aside from some snark, what has influenced your decision? About a week ago you were in complete agreement with this forum, and now you want to quit.

Most reactions

Back