Destin's Drone Photos

I think there is a 400 ft relative altitude limit.
You are not supposed to fly over people. This is safely related, if a drone FALLS/CRASHES onto someone.
And a few more.

I am still in kindergarten learning to fly my quad, so I don't worry about most of the rules. I practice flying in an underground parking lot, so I can't loose my quad to a dumb mistake.

Destin
Do you have a live view of what the camera sees, or are you shooting blind?
It looks like you have a live view.

I think there is a 400 ft relative altitude limit.
You are not supposed to fly over people. This is safely related, if a drone FALLS/CRASHES onto someone.
And a few more.

I am still in kindergarten learning to fly my quad, so I don't worry about most of the rules. I practice flying in an underground parking lot, so I can't loose my quad to a dumb mistake.

Destin
Do you have a live view of what the camera sees, or are you shooting blind?
It looks like you have a live view.

I have a live view of what it sees streaming through my phone while I fly. I have manual control over the camera settings and a HUD that shows speed, altitude, and distance from the takeoff point.

Technology :)
Mine has a camera, but I have to shoot blind, as I don't have live view.
Looks like once I really learn to fly a quad, I have to upgrade to get the live view.

Two from a test flight today. Was just up and flying around my home town, not really focused on making photos. Trying to learn how the new drone handles and reacts to input. It's a lot faster and smoother than the spark was but it takes more paying attention to keep it out of trouble.

Top speed today was 48.9 mph, so it'll get into trouble very quickly if you aren't paying attention.

1.) My new fire hall. I'm a Captain with the department, we're moving into the new building this month after a 3 year capital project to build it at a cost of 3.5 million dollars. Light was good so I grabbed a quick photo of it. The RAW files from the P4P aren't nearly as flexible as the ones from my DSLRs, but impressive for a drone in my opinion.
i-JRvRvTS-XL.jpg

2.) An interesting (to me at least) patch of trees on the outskirts of town.
i-6JshvJM-XL.jpg

Very cool images.

My luck I'd snap a pic just as I was crashing into someones vintage Mercedes or something.

Today I dropped behind a patch of trees about 1/2 mile away and lost sight of the drone and image connection. Was freaking out.. thank god the automatic return to home function kicked in and it came back to me.

Wasn’t even trying to drop behind the trees but I heard a helicopter coming so I was trying to dump some altitude in a hurry to give them the right of way.

Last edited:
Very neat stuff. I especially like the diagonal cutting across the first shot's frame-VERY neat photo! It's amazing how fresh and new low-altitude aerial shots look to us. I am always amazed at how cool drone pics turn out to look.

A friend of mine is a prison guard, they find downed drones occasionally around the prison.

A friend of mine is a prison guard, they find downed drones occasionally around the prison.

Do they have shotgun shells lodged in them?

It actually is scary. You can buy a payload system that can drop things. Drones like mine can only carry 2-3 pounds at most, but if you were trying to drop prohibited items into the yard at a prison it wouldn’t be hard to do I suppose.

It actually is scary. You can buy a payload system that can drop things. Drones like mine can only carry 2-3 pounds at most, but if you were trying to drop prohibited items into the yard at a prison it wouldn’t be hard to do I suppose.

I guess, the things people will do.

I guess, the things people will do.

From a couple of days ago:

Drone drug drop thwarted at B.C. prison

Wow! This is great stuff, Destin. What camera and lens are you using for this type of work?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back