Destin's Drone Photos

Wow! This is great stuff, Destin. What camera and lens are you using for this type of work?

This is the built in camera on the DJI Phantom 4 pro. It's a 1" backlit CMOS censor with (I think) and 8.5mm lens. The real magic in DJI drones is just how amazing the gimbal is at stabilizing the image, even in fast or turbulent flight. I can shoot an image at 1/60th of a second in pretty fast winds and it still gets me sharp images.

Drove half an hour up to Point Breeze, an inlet on Lake Ontario. Captured these photos:

1.)
i-Czccrvw-XL.jpg

2.)
i-TKQzcP3-XL.jpg

3.)
i-Nv48XMJ-XL.jpg

4.)
i-s8CpXJH-XL.jpg

5.)
i-KnP2ftx-XL.jpg

OK, now I'm gonna have to slap the drone out of you..... stop it!!!!! Your making me go to B & H now, your getting reflections.... WOW.... the 2nd one reminds me of my first wife....

Great stuff! Really like that last set and the forest. The forest reminded me of something I saw on tv quite a while ago and thought you might be interested. Its truly amazing. . The video from the drone is spectacular.

Great stuff! Really like that last set and the forest. The forest reminded me of something I saw on tv quite a while ago and thought you might be interested. Its truly amazing. . The video from the drone is spectacular.

Man that’s phenomenal.

The drone is really forcing me to learn video shooting and editing. I’m working on a few video projects slowly. I’ll share them when they’re done.

Very cool images.

My luck I'd snap a pic just as I was crashing into someones vintage Mercedes or something.

Today I dropped behind a patch of trees about 1/2 mile away and lost sight of the drone and image connection. Was freaking out.. thank god the automatic return to home function kicked in and it came back to me.

Wasn’t even trying to drop behind the trees but I heard a helicopter coming so I was trying to dump some altitude in a hurry to give them the right of way.

Will you be changing your name to 'StealthFlyer' or such? Wow, great maneuvers!
I really like the photos especially the view of the trees!

My Mavik arrived the other day and I took it to the backyard in 'beginner' mode so it would only go 90' in any direction. Just getting started but feels like fun..

Very cool images.

My luck I'd snap a pic just as I was crashing into someones vintage Mercedes or something.

Today I dropped behind a patch of trees about 1/2 mile away and lost sight of the drone and image connection. Was freaking out.. thank god the automatic return to home function kicked in and it came back to me.

Wasn’t even trying to drop behind the trees but I heard a helicopter coming so I was trying to dump some altitude in a hurry to give them the right of way.

My Mavik arrived the other day and I took it to the backyard in 'beginner' mode so it would only go 90' in any direction. Just getting started but feels like fun..

Yes! Now I’m not alone! Can’t wait to see the photos you get with it!

I am debating getting rid of my current Instagram account and starting a new one that’s 100% drone photos. They seem to be more popular.

Very cool images.

I'm even more beginner than you.
I'm practicing controlling it in an underground parking lot, so I don't do something stupid and loose the quad/drone. And I don't have to deal with wind. The only problem in the parking lot is limited vertical height. But for me the hardest to learn is L/R and F/B, cuz direction is based on the quad, not me. So when the quad turns, so do the relative directions.

Very cool images.

I'm practicing controlling it in an underground parking lot, so I don't do something stupid and loose the quad/drone. And I don't have to deal with wind. The only problem in the parking lot is limited vertical height. But for me the hardest to learn is L/R and F/B, cuz direction is based on the quad, not me. So when the quad turns, so do the relative directions.

What drone do you have?

Mine both have navigational lights that make figuring out direction easy. As does the live feed on my screen and the map with directional indicator.

Very cool images.

What drone do you have?

Mine both have navigational lights that make figuring out direction easy. As does the live feed on my screen and the map with directional indicator.

It isn't which is L/R on the drone, it is ME getting used to flying from the perspective of the drone, vs me on the ground.
Example, when the drone is headed back towards me, everything is backwards; the drones L is my R, and F is towards me vs away from me. So I have to think different when working the direction controls.
A live view would make it easier, then I can see direction from the perspective of the drone, vs me.
Or being 40 years younger :biggrin-93:

I've been practicing the copter method of learning to fly. First flying faced away from me, then flying face towards me; to try to get used to controlling from the PoV of the copter/quad. It ain't easy for this old man.

I have 2 Syma's; a small one that I use for garage/small space flying, and a larger one that I will graduate to for outdoor flying.
And a Blade coaxial copter.

I need to ask the AD at the local high school if I can fly in his gym. Then I would have the vertical space that I don't have in the parking structure. Fat chance, probably liability issues.

Last edited:
@Destin, the wife said she was going to buy me one, the one you linked. I told her no, because I know she has a big purchase for herself in mind. She means well but I have a feeling if she got me one, I am in for some home remodeling work, jewelery, Coach stuff, or some stupid outfit I got to wear for her.... I may soon be a drone slave....

Got out this morning and took some photos over Medina, New York. This is going to be way more fun once the weather gets warm again, but I'm still trying to stay motivated despite the cold.

1.) The drone is steady enough to take exposures sufficiently long to show motion in a waterfall
i-9jcM6Qs-XL.jpg

2.)
i-xGd6kV4-XL.jpg

3.)
i-kTg8wDL-XL.jpg

4.)
i-JWds7Dw-XL.jpg

5.)
i-cdJj97d-XL.jpg

STOP it.
You are making me want to spend $$$$ on a decent photo drone. :biggrin-93:

Most reactions