Detroit-Windsor Annual Fireworks Display

mswiech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night we had the 53rd Annual Detroit-Windsor Fireworks show take place. Took the family out as I have been waiting to photograph some firework since I got my camera. The show was over 28 mins in length.

All are shot with a D3100 50mm f/1.8D in between F8-11 in Bulb mode on a Velbon Sherpa 200r tripod. Looking for your honest opinion on these. I have posted 5 of the images. You can go to my flickr page to check out the rest. Please remember that I was stationary the whole time and could not move to try and get more of the firework.

1. Start of the show -

Windsor Fireworks (1 of 1) by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

2. Tried for a shot to include the people -

Windsor Fireworks (2 of 1) by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

3. Like the colors

Windsor Fireworks (3 of 1) by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

4. Difficult to get the white fireworks

Windsor Fireworks (5 of 1) by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

5. Towards the end of the show

Windsor Fireworks --37 by mswiechwaterloo, on Flickr

Here is the link to my flickr page to get out the rest. Let me know what you guys and gals think

Detroit-Windsor Fireworks Display 2011 - a set on Flickr

I really like the second one!

Same here the second one made me smile.

The only thing I wish is that you were using a different lens so you could zoom out some. I wish I could see more of the riverfront.

The only thing I wish is that you were using a different lens so you could zoom out some. I wish I could see more of the riverfront.
I wanted to move back, but it was so jammed backed. People almost sitting on top of people. They estimated that close to a million people were there combining Detroit and Windsor. Thank you Amandalee and klc for the comments. I liked that one as well.

Awesome pic #2! After seeing these I will def be bringing my camera out on the 4th! Did you take this one in bulb mode as well?

Agreed, #2 is the best.

I am surprised we haven't had 50 how to take firework photo threads already this year!

But this image is a great example of what makes for a more exciting image. CONTEXT!
Good job!

I wanted to move back, but it was so jammed backed. People almost sitting on top of people. They estimated that close to a million people were there combining Detroit and Windsor. Thank you Amandalee and klc for the comments. I liked that one as well.

Trust me, I get you. I'm from the Metro Detroit area. I stopped going to the fireworks because of everything that happens in Detroit with crowds like that. I heard that there were some robberies and shootings. =(

Lovely shots, 2nd one works for me. Definitely be out in SF this 4th of July.

Really really awesome shots. The only thing I can say is maybe try to get a few shots with a little less trail. Number 3 looks like a whispy flower instead of fireworks to me. I really like them. Could you start an exposure just after it explodes so you don't get the first little burst?

Awesome pic #2! After seeing these I will def be bringing my camera out on the 4th! Did you take this one in bulb mode as well?
Yes. All the shots that I posted on here and to my flickr page were shot in bulb mode with a remote cable release.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Hopefully next year I will have a 12-24mm and/or a 24-70mm to get those wide angle shots.

Really really awesome shots. The only thing I can say is maybe try to get a few shots with a little less trail. Number 3 looks like a whispy flower instead of fireworks to me. I really like them. Could you start an exposure just after it explodes so you don't get the first little burst?
did you happen to look at my Flickr page. I believe there are some examples of what you are looking for on that page. Thanks again everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back