Dev and Hamed [NSFW... Seriously]

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I was hired to do some promotional photos for friends of mine who work in the adult video industry (let's just take a moment to appreciate how amazing it is when friends respect you and your work enough to actually hire you and pay you what you deserve rather than expect free work from you). Fortunately the budget allowed for a fully equipped studio rental rather than shooting with just a window for lighting. I used a socked beauty dish for the main light to camera left, and bounced light from a giant octa off of a white wall from slightly behind the models to camera right. The backdrop is the same hand-painted drop I made that I've been waffling on about for the last couple of months. I'm really proud of it, ok?

As for the bed, it's what was available at the studio, and to be honest I'm not too happy with the way it fits into the photo. Same with the bedding; next time I do a shoot at this studio and plan to use this or any other bed, I'm bringing better looking bedding.

As for the content, if you don't like or approve of it, just move on instead of saying something stupid.

Canon EOS 5D Classic | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens set to f/7.1 | 1/200th sec | ISO 250
dcw2epc-3868945b-2a44-4ef7-96bb-5a706cc1425d.jpg

I like the overall look and feel of the shot. I agree with you on the bedding but I think the skeletal bed frame adds to the feel without detracting from the subjects.

The guy in front seems to have a look of arrogance in the eyes that I don't care for but that's just me.

I looked at this the other day and couldn't put my finger on what bothered me but that's it - the two subjects seem to be conveying different moods or emotions. The subject to the right seems to be almost nurturing, and I'm not sure how to describe what's conveyed by the subject to the left (but he doesn't seem that into it, which made me wonder does really want to even be there, or is he bored, annoyed? not sure).

The only thing I noticed with the lighting is that it seems a bit bright where it's hitting the subject's leg to the right, and it created some oddly shaped shadows. At first I thought the pose seemed awkward til I realized it was more the light and shadows I think along the side closest to the right.

I looked at this the other day and couldn't put my finger on what bothered me but that's it - the two subjects seem to be conveying different moods or emotions. The subject to the right seems to be almost nurturing, and I'm not sure how to describe what's conveyed by the subject to the left (but he doesn't seem that into it, which made me wonder does really want to even be there, or is he bored, annoyed? not sure).

The only thing I noticed with the lighting is that it seems a bit bright where it's hitting the subject's leg to the right, and it created some oddly shaped shadows. At first I thought the pose seemed awkward til I realized it was more the light and shadows I think along the side closest to the right.

I appreciate the critique, thank you. Really can’t argue with any of what you pointed out.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I like the overall look and feel of the shot. I agree with you on the bedding but I think the skeletal bed frame adds to the feel without detracting from the subjects.

The guy in front seems to have a look of arrogance in the eyes that I don't care for but that's just me.

Thank you.

It’s a shame that I captured a look of arrogance in this shot. I like the shot myself, but Dev is a very sweet person and I would hope to capture more of that side of him.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

hmm.. I see more "relaxed confidence" in his facial expression, personally. Beautiful work, as usual!

Beautiful work (agree with JustJazzie on that). A little foreshortening on the guy in front with his left thigh. I don't mind his expression, it works for me. I'd like it if you'd liquify his stomach just a little--that was truly the first thing that drew my gaze--his stomach and I thought "the guy in back is so buff, maybe they should have switched positions" because of it.

In the realm of "things you can't unsee"...it really looks to me like Dev's right leg is going down through a hole in the sheet/bed.

But seriously, since you mentioned the bed/bedding as being one of your nitpicks, I was trying to explore my feelings on it (that's why I noticed the leg). I think the peeling, skeletal nature of the bed is fine (it's nice that there isn't a bulky footboard getting in the way of the shot from this angle), and though it may not convey the feel you intended for the shot I think the bedding is also fine. The only thing that bugs me about the bed is that, from this angle, it doesn't really appear large enough for one person to sleep, never mind for two to engage in adult activities. (Again with the foreshortening!)

As for his expression, I agree that it comes off at first glance as a bit arrogant - he is pretty much looking down his nose at the viewer. If, on the other hand, he were looking slightly off-camera I think this pose turns from haughty into a comforting lean back against his partner.

Beautiful work (agree with JustJazzie on that). A little foreshortening on the guy in front with his left thigh. I don't mind his expression, it works for me. I'd like it if you'd liquify his stomach just a little--that was truly the first thing that drew my gaze--his stomach and I thought "the guy in back is so buff, maybe they should have switched positions" because of it.
Thank you for the feedback!

In the realm of "things you can't unsee"...it really looks to me like Dev's right leg is going down through a hole in the sheet/bed.

But seriously, since you mentioned the bed/bedding as being one of your nitpicks, I was trying to explore my feelings on it (that's why I noticed the leg). I think the peeling, skeletal nature of the bed is fine (it's nice that there isn't a bulky footboard getting in the way of the shot from this angle), and though it may not convey the feel you intended for the shot I think the bedding is also fine. The only thing that bugs me about the bed is that, from this angle, it doesn't really appear large enough for one person to sleep, never mind for two to engage in adult activities. (Again with the foreshortening!)

As for his expression, I agree that it comes off at first glance as a bit arrogant - he is pretty much looking down his nose at the viewer. If, on the other hand, he were looking slightly off-camera I think this pose turns from haughty into a comforting lean back against his partner.
Thank you for the feedback!

The models and I had the same feeling you do about the bed; it's really small. They were way too big in comparison lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back