Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...I'd just like a further explaination on exactly what it is, since I know several of you have it. So...you can actually sell your prints on the site, and make money? And you dont' actually have to do anything, because Deviant Art prints and ships it? Is this correct? If anyone can tell me more about it, that would be great.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. It's an online community where there's a reasonable throughput. I don't know how much they sell though!

Rob

I'd say that the average "deviant" sells very little through their print shop. I looked into it and found that Deviant Art was taking a rather large chunk of the sales and it was not for me.

Some of the more popular deviants may earn some cash through that system though.

I haven't ponied up for a print account yet, but I probably will. DevArt is a one-time $25 fee to sell prints. They take a huge chunk of the profit (like 50% I think), but there is no yearly fee.

Other sites only take a 15-25% cut, but the annual fees range up to $135. So, if you're selling a bunch of pics that makes sense. If you just want to put some pics up so people can buy a print & don't want to mess with handling anything DevArt is a viable option.

Assuming you don't want to get rich that is. ;)

Only reason I wanna do it is to make a little extra money, even though I know it won't be much. Between now and next summer, every extra cent I make is going into a special savings account I'm opening today towards a trip I want to take my boyfriend on. :) Maybe I'll just try my luck at Ebay! :lol:

50% of the profit is not really a huge chunk considering:

a) They build your website for you.

b) They handle the order, from photo size, paper size, to credit card payment.

c) print the order (at a very reasonable/competitive cost per print)

d) package the order (packaged very well in tubes or stiff cardboard envelopes)

e) ship the product to the customer and sent you a quarterly check of your earnings

Why not do it? After your one time fee of $25, it costs you nothing. How you promote yourself and your da prints account affects how much you sell.

Digital Matt said:
50% of the profit is not really a huge chunk considering:

a) They build your website for you.

b) They handle the order, from photo size, paper size, to credit card payment.

c) print the order (at a very reasonable/competitive cost per print)

d) package the order (packaged very well in tubes or stiff cardboard envelopes)

e) ship the product to the customer and sent you a quarterly check of your earnings

Why not do it? After your one time fee of $25, it costs you nothing. How you promote yourself and your da prints account affects how much you sell.

digimatt...without giving too many details...do you do well on this site?

I'll give you details. Without promoting it at all, just based on my "popularity" on DA, I've made a few hundred dollars. I don't expect to make lots of money selling photos to DA members though, because they are mostly young kids, and of the adults, they are other artists, who generally are poor and/or bitter and angry, and jealous, and would never buy art from another DA member.

Digital Matt said:
I'll give you details. Without promoting it at all, just based on my "popularity" on DA, I've made a few hundred dollars. I don't expect to make lots of money selling photos to DA members though, because they are mostly young kids, and of the adults, they are other artists, who generally are poor and/or bitter and angry, and jealous, and would never buy art from another DA member.

in that case, im glad you gave details! :)

Well, I signed up for the free account earlier today...so when I get a spare few minutes I'll look over it. I can understand you makin halfway decent money, Matt, but I don't have a lot of marketable photos yet. A few maybe, though. :)

Most reactions

Back