Dialysis Photo Essay lead photo

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple months ago I was approached during the opening of a sushi restaurant by a lady and she asked if I could do something to raise awareness about local dialysis patents. My editor thought it was a great idea so he put it all in my hands.

It will be a 12 photo layout with an 8" copy block. I'll hold the rest of the images for when it runs. That way you guys can read the short story too. I've done several short copy blocks in the past, but this is the longest(though still pretty short) and the most involved one I've done. I'm very proud of it.

Here is the lead shot for the essay. This lady had an amazing story. She was diagnosed with diabetes at 12 and has been on dialysis for more than 6 years. She's had five strokes, one of which while sitting in the chair in the photo. Gave me one of the most powerful quotes of the story:

"I've been through nineteen lives and I just keep bouncing back. But I can't bounce forever. I know that."
C&C welcome as always.

Last edited:
I hope you are covered legally and have appropriate HIPAA waivers.

I hope you are covered legally and have appropriate HIPAA waivers.

Well, shooting for a newspaper at which I am employed, in a building where I was invited in to shoot, and shooting photos of people who volunteered to be in the story, all of which already have signed wavers through the clinic, I don't need them.

A good shot but just needs a touch on contrast. The dialysis machine seems to blend too much into the wall (at least on my monitor).

Has it been said that this is a great photo? (George might be right about the contrasts but then I don't know how too contrasty photos look in newspaper print? Maybe you have to watch your contrasts when you know they're going to become newspaper pics??)

I am very curious to see the whole story, once it has been published!

I think that keeping the dialysis machine somewhat blended into the background emphasizes the facial expression of the patient.

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I appreciate the input.

As far as the contrast goes, the reasons I've left it where it is are because if I bump it any higher I'll start losing detail in the patient's shirt, especially her are, and I bumped it a little when I did a test print on actual newspaper and the corner of the dialysis machine disappeared into the wall completely. So I opted to have slightly lower contrast to keep finer detail.

*UPDATE*

An update for those interested. The story and photo essay ran on Tuesday. It was suppose to run yesterday(saturday) to allow the most room for photos, but there was a lack of news on Tuesday, so it ran early. Tuesday meant less room and less photos ran.

Anyway, the morning that it ran the lady who runs the clinic called me to thank me for the story. She also said that Mona, the lady in the photo above, had gone into the hospital. She said Mona had loved the story and photos. Mona said, "At least if it's my time to go I made the front page of the paper. I made it big time."

Sadly, Mona passed away that night. So, the story running on Tuesday meant less photos, but if it had run on schedule, Mona would never have seen it.

The picture looks great to me. As a person who has done some electrical service work in a couple of our local units I believe you have shown the emotion of this patient. It breaks my heart being in those buildings. I hope this story does well and brings great awareness to this problem. In my life I've been working months on making sure my life gets altered so I don't end up in their position.

Jeremy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back