Did anyone preorder the new 85/1.8G Nikkor?

Wait what? People actually pre-order camera gear without any performance tests or having the chance to test it?

Wait what? People actually pre-order camera gear without any performance tests or having the chance to test it?

This. Especially with lenses.

That's what I was thinking, and that's why I asked. :)

On the same note, however, if the lens follows in the footsteps of their 85mm line, or the 35/1.8G, and 50/1.8G, it's sure to be a great performer.

Mark

Its Nikon, lack of faith is not an issue
bigthumb.gif

Well..?

Mark
:confused: You mean before its even approved by Ken Rockwell????? That's just crazy talk!

Actually, truth to tell, I wasn't even aware of the pending release, but I would never consider pre-ordering a lens. Nikon's track record is stellar, but every now and then, there is an issue... the 35mm f2 D oily aperture blades comes to mind.

2WheelPhoto said:

Can you say the same thing about Canon?

I haven't had the pleasure of using Canon products other than printers so can't speak from experience, but I'm still faithful about their latest and greatest lenses performing GREAT

Im waiting for Jared Polin to give it the smell test first.....lol

2WheelPhoto said:

Can you say the same thing about Canon?

I haven't had the pleasure of using Canon products other than printers so can't speak from experience, but I'm still faithful about their latest and greatest lenses performing GREAT

My Canon printer has just broken down after minor use, so don't get me started on the build quality thing at this moment. :lol:

Well..?

Mark
:confused: You mean before its even approved by Ken Rockwell????? That's just crazy talk!

Actually, truth to tell, I wasn't even aware of the pending release, but I would never consider pre-ordering a lens. Nikon's track record is stellar, but every now and then, there is an issue... the 35mm f2 D oily aperture blades comes to mind.

Im waiting for Jared Polin to give it the smell test first.....lol

You know, I laugh at these but I actually do read what these guys have to say. :s

bought the 1.4 instead.... although I did consider waiting for the 1.8!

With camera bodies themselves I can understand. I mean typical advances in a series of cameras does not leave a lot to prediction. There's a feature list to go by, and then the natural assumption that the image quality noise wise will be equal to or greater than the previous generation. I see no reason why someone with a D3 shouldn't pre-order a D4 if they want video or the inbuilt web server or some other feature it provides.

But with lenses this isn't the case. About the only thing important with lenses is the optical quality, the build quality, and how it handles. None of these can be listed in a feature set in advance, and you in every way have no idea what you may be getting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back