Did I make the right choice?

RockstarPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was shooting with a d300s and a d3000 as a backup. Well, awhile ago, my d300s took a flying leap from a balcony and I've been stuck shooting this d3000. My 2 options for a replacement was either 1 d700 and continue to use my d3000 as a backup. or get 2 d7000's so I would have a worthy backup. I went with the 2 d7000's. think I made the right choice?

Depends on the lenses you have. If you have all DX, then you'd need new glass for the 700.

I ordered a ton of new glass also. Everything I will have will work on an fx body. I just didn't want to be stranded using the d3000 as a backup.

I dunno, then. If I had the opportunity to make the jump to FX, I'd do it.

To be honest i would have went down the D700 road my self, but that's just my honest opinion. It would have been nice to have that pro but maybe the d3000 would have been a bad backup. Regardless the d7000 is a great camera, nothing to regret.

I never thought much of my backup camera until I got stuck having to use it. Shooting mostly low light situations, the d3000 just doesn't cut it. It's like trying to tee off with a 9 iron. I just don't want to get stuck in a situation where if I have to go to my backup it's a poor performer. and the ability to have 2 body's with 2 different lenses is also a plus. I would have loved to go with 2 d700's but with the glass I bought also It wasn't an option, and glass trumps body's. lol

Why not one D700 for now?

Why not one D700 for now?

Because then I would be stuck with the d3000 for a backup..................after having to actually use it for a backup, I didn't like that idea!....lol....and I figured I could wait and see if the d700 is replaced soon. If it is, by then I should have saved enough to sell one of the 7000's and buy the newer replacement full frame, and use the other 7000 as a backup.

maybe I made the wrong choice.

Sell the 3k to help fund a 7k.

Sell the 3k to help fund a 7k.

well, I wouldn't get much for a 3k. and I've already decided to give that camera to my dad who pretty much quit when the digital age came. He loves photography and shot as a sole living for many years. Thought maybe it would jump start him again. He hasn't picked up a camera in a long time and it's a shame, he's an excellent photographer. (where i learned everything I don't know from)

You know I was going to suggest the option of picking up the 700, and then finding a worthy used body as a back-up, maybe a d300 since you had one already. But...you went with the d7000 option already, I hope it works out for ya. I also hope your dad gets back into it, seems like a shame that he got out of photography.

I dont get it. Why would you need 2 nice bodies? The only reason for you to have 2 good bodies is when you have to shoot with two bodies simultaneously like weddings, NBA games. D700 is the no brainer answer. Yes, once in a while sh!t happens and you are stuck with the lower grade camera but I am willing to take that chance. You keep telling me you want to shoot concerts. I dont find 2 bodies that usefull shoooting a concert because you probably be using one lens all night.

I probably should have went with the d700. I guess with this option I can have a 70-200 one one body, a prime on another, and the controls are the same on each camera, I can make quick adjustments without going from one body style to the next. Probably the main reason though, is I didn't want to fork out the cash for a d700 only to have the upgrade be released soon. The 7000 should hold it's value fairly well since it's a new release and when the d800 comes, I can sell one 7000 and get the 800. The video was of no concern in my purchase, Mostly wanted good iso performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back