Did I make the right choice?

Did I make the right choice?
My opinion is........... no, you bungled it.

........ Probably the main reason though, is I didn't want to fork out the cash for a d700 only to have the upgrade be released soon......
This is flawed thinking IMO. The D700 has set an industry high bar. When it is upgraded does not mean that the Y2K bug is back in action for 2011? The D700 will still perform.

........ Mostly wanted good iso performance.......
So the D7000 has good high ISO. There is more to it than that. It's the size of the photocaells and the square area upon which those photocells reside.

So you're a 'fessional, right? I mean, I've read those other threds. So instead of a top end prosumer grade camera, you went with a consumer grade camera. I don't understand the logic. It's probably just me and you made the right decision for you..

You can call me a "fessional or not, I really don't care. But I make my living on photography. After moving and starting over I really don't have tons of cash to be throwing at equipment. I know of plenty of pro photographers that shoot with 300's. The 7000 out performs it. It may not have the mag body, but thats about it, unless you really want to nitpick (which i'm sure you do). Because it's been labeled a consumer grade camera it must not be able to perform on a quality level. Now, I know it's not up to the standards of the 700, and if i had the cash, I would have gone with 2 700's. But I don't. The d700 has set an industry high bar. So did the f3 back in the 80's, does that mean it still sets that level? No. technology changes. I'm going to wait to see what the d800 has to offer. But for now, at 1200 bucks a piece. the 7000's will suit me just fine.

why do you need two? If you break it, drive the closest best buy and buy another one.

why do you need two? If you break it, drive the closest best buy and buy another one.

Sound advice.

"Excuse me Mr. and Mrs. paying customer.... could you please stop everything you're doing and wait for me to run to the store and buy another camera?

Thanks.

And BTW, can I use your car?"

That should go over well. :lol:

Most shoots will only require 1 camera unless the session is involving a lot of money (paid models, MUA, etc.), events/weddings. If I am only shooting portrait session, I feel comfortable using only one. I can reschedule it for some other day if the camera breaks during the shoot. Besides, He has a D3000 already.

Sh!t happens, i know. You can have 2 cameras on your body during a wedding and you can slip and fall and break both cameras. You need more than 2 now?

But for now, at 1200 bucks a piece. the 7000's will suit me just fine.

I can't help but ask..... and don't take this the wrong way.....

If you know the answer, why did you ask the question?

To tell you the truth, I clicked on the active topics button and there was a total of 1 thread on the page that wasn't a c&c thread. Guess I just wanted to start a conversation that wouldn't have the phrase (learn the rule of thirds) in it.

Well, the d7000 is more than capable of shooting wedding and any other crap.. get some more money and buy a d700 if you regret your choice that much but i think you did a good choice, For now, shooting with 2 d7000, you are well equiped to do pretty much 98% of the jobs your probably going to be asked to do.

think I made the right choice?

No. Also, have you researched the Rule of Thirds?

In addition to your quarrel over the D700 vs the D7000. The tech in the D700 will be usable for many years to come, and it would produce better image quality at high ISO's. I bought a 5D from 2006 less than a year ago, and I love it. It's a great camera, and the entire ISO range is usable on it.

Last edited:
You can call me a "fessional or not, I really don't care. But I make my living on photography......
All I was trying to say is that you already had a backup, maybe not the best, but it could get you through to finish an assignment. Later when you're a bit more flush, you could then upgrade the backup camera.

.....But I don't. The d700 has set an industry high bar. So did the f3 back in the 80's, does that mean it still sets that level? No. technology changes......
Apples and oranges dude. You don't get my point, do you? The technology of the D700 should last anyone several years worth of use or 150K actuations, whichever comes first. YMMV

BTW, did you clock on to my opening words? "My opinion is....." Weren't you the one who suggested that I actually read the previous comments before making a [ jackass ] of myself?

I think if their wasn't hype about a replacement for the 700 coming out soon I probably would have went that route. But with the huge step up nikon just did in the consumer division with the d7000 I'm kinda excited to see what may be if they release a d800. and i'm sure I will want to get my hands on one. Prices may, or may not drop on the d700 if their is a substantial upgrade, whereas the d7000 will stay as it's still a new release. I'm probably thinking bass ackwards.

Whilst I'm speaking on a load of hypotheticals here (never having had a FF cam before, having a mid-level consumer model as my "best" camera etc) I think the decision was the right one - for you.

The important thing for you was the realisation that you might actually need to use your backup camera so you wanted a good backup camera.
The other important thing for you was a camera that you felt would get mileage.

I think you met both of those.

If you went for 1 D700 you would have failed to meet either one of what you held up as Important Things.
Your choice was the right one.

all previous joking aside, I agree with ecko. Having an identical "backup" body would be awfully convenient. If I had a "great" camera and a "pretty good" camera then I would use the "great" one almost exclusively, then if I had to go back to the other it would be hard to get used to. And since a backup body is usually only used in an emergency then it means having to get used to that body again in a hurry. Or if you are using both simultaneously, switching from one body to another constantly could be a p.i.t.a. However, I am not familiar with nikons to know how much different they are in layout and ergonomics, maybe it's not that big of a deal.

You can always sell one d7000 when the d700 replacements comes out and keep one d7000 as a backup. you wont lose that much money by selling the d7000 since it will still be on the market at the same price. this is what i plan on doing as soon its coming out. for now i dont have a backup body but the work i do dosnt require me to have 2 bodys. I will rent another one if i iever need to.

Most reactions

Back