Did I miss the focus?

mostly sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Forget exposure, forget it's a boring subject.. Did I get the flower in focus?

271.jpg

Oh, and perhaps I am not getting the whole focus thing. I have 19 things on my camera that can be used to I guess focus on.. For the most part I can't get the all 19 points to light up in my view finder. On this picture I got the squares to light up on the main flower..

He he.. Don't you wish I knew techinical terms?

Oh, and perhaps I am not getting the whole focus thing. I have 19 things on my camera that can be used to I guess focus on.. For the most part I can't get the all 19 points to light up in my view finder. On this picture I got the squares to light up on the main flower..

:lmao:

:lmao:

Why are you laughing at me... Isn't that what those red spots are for? Calling Canon to ask..

Danielle I don't know much abou the 7d but with my
xsi the red dots light up and beep when focus is achieved. It should be somewhere in your manual. I know you have heard that a million times and you remind me a lot of myself. You would rather talk to a human than read a book to find an answer. I promise you though that the manual has all the "technical" information in it that you should need ;)

Ok-- I know how to use the focus red squares and the dial to make them where I want them!!! = )~

Ok-- I know how to use the focus red squares and the dial to make them where I want them!!! = )~
It depends which focus mode and which focus area you are using.

You have to make 2 choices to setup how your camera will focus.

It depends which focus mode and which focus area you are using.

You have to make 2 choices to setup how your camera will focus.

.. baby steps.. that is next? Do you mean either in TV or AV? Those are the settings I can use that with.

Forget exposure, forget it's a boring subject.. Did I get the flower in focus?

271.jpg
Nice painting!

Kidding! It hard to tell what's in focus. Did you over work a sharpening tool or something? Also, flowers should have enough detail to allow you to manual focus through the view finder with ease. It's a good way to tell if you're using your AF correctly.

Your camera does come with a manual. It explains how the AF system works I believe. :D

:lol: That itty bitty tiny book.. that has no color pictures? Yeah, I have that.. It's in my camera bag. I can never find anything I am looking for.. Like Sunday when my camera was "broken".. Yeah, I pulled it out. I didn't help me.. My head went :confused:

Your camera does come with a manual. It explains how the AF system works I believe. :D

theres like 5 modes i think... full auto... zone... center spot... center expanded... and point... not sure if i have the names right

you've got a sick camera... only way to full take advantage of all the technology stuffed in that thing is to go through that tiny no picture book in your bag... another advantage of that is once u know how to use anything, you don't need to carry it in your bag...

Okay... here is the best place to start... Spend the 16$ and buy this book!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X]Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book (9780321474049): Scott Kelby: Books[/ame]

This is a three volume set, this is volume 1... A simply amazing book for beginner all the way to advanced user...

Now for the subject at hand, the photo has numerous problems... First and foremost, the lighting is extremely harsh, so harsh in fact, that you lose detail in the pedals of the flowers. If I were a betting man, this photo was taken sometime between 2-4 p.m., try taking the photo later in the day, as the sun is setting... See the shadow on the green leaf? If you are shooting at the right time of day, you won't have that... Now, for the focus, with shots like these, I use manual, but that's me, many like the feel of auto, and if that's the case, there are several different auto focus modes to assist you. Now, another thing to consider is aperture, this will affect how much of the flower is in focus, depending on how far away you are from it... The closer you are, the narrower the Depth of field will be when you use a low f.# (say, f.3.5)... There are tables to illustrate this if you google it. There is an old saying that says, when in doubt, shoot f.8, which if you're a noob, may be good advice...

Lastly, I can't stress these two enough... 1.) Shoot manual... Just do it... Take off the training wheels and go... I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I personally feel like auto will get you nowhere... When I bought my first DSLR, I didn't even know it had a light meter, and was shooting in manual... Don't believe me...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/118796-my-first-time-out-my-new-dslr.html
When Parkerman told me there was a light meter, I was, "Holy crap... so that's what that thing is..." LMAO... I look at those pictures now and laugh... I am glad I found that post though, makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere :)
2.) a little tip I picked up in the photography book I posted at the start, Shoot at the level of the flowers, don't shoot looking down on them... They'll be much more interesting...

Good luck and keep posting...

If I told you how many book I have for this camera-- You would laugh at me.

Most reactions

Back