Did the best I could

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went for a fast dash out the door to catch the sunset. It was amazing just before I could set up.
made the best of the light I could. Tried some different things with post this time.

1) I had to NR a bit on this. I did an edit today (2 days later). I like it but I cant put my finger on whats bugging me about it. Composition I think but ..
1QS9A5572.jpg

2) I have to say I like this one the best. I just wish I could balance the light and dark better. I worked a while on it but couldn't achieve the exact result I was looking for 100%.
1QS9A5570.jpg

3) I got some odd haloing. Not sure what it was from. I have seen a few photographers that do colors like this. Thought I might try. I tried for a good foreground! Had my head on the ground for this perception.
1QS9A5539.jpg

Went for a fast dash out the door to catch the sunset. It was amazing just before I could set up.
made the best of the light I could. Tried some different things with post this time.

1) I had to NR a bit on this. I did an edit today (2 days later). I like it but I cant put my finger on whats bugging me about it. Composition I think but ..
View attachment 108311

2) I have to say I like this one the best. I just wish I could balance the light and dark better. I worked a while on it but couldn't achieve the exact result I was looking for 100%.
View attachment 108312

3) I got some odd haloing. Not sure what it was from. I have seen a few photographers that do colors like this. Thought I might try. I tried for a good foreground! Had my head on the ground for this perception.
View attachment 108314
very sultry light. sometimes the horizon commands attention

Anything you would suggest doing different?

Always open for tips! I'm still learning g about landscapes.

the compostion of the 2nd is a little busy, but all-in-all, not bad.

Well done - you were in a rush, you got a result. Number 3 I like the best. I would say, (if you don't do it already) try to take a few of each. Slightly alter the point of view, bracket exposures. Sometimes also you get lucky doing it and a bird flies across or something (change of light just for a moment). You can come across a scene, feel captivated by it, but never think to check out alternative ways of composing. You can hold the camera above your head, rest it on the ground etc etc.

I absolutely positively love these - great job!

Well done - you were in a rush, you got a result. Number 3 I like the best. I would say, (if you don't do it already) try to take a few of each. Slightly alter the point of view, bracket exposures. Sometimes also you get lucky doing it and a bird flies across or something (change of light just for a moment). You can come across a scene, feel captivated by it, but never think to check out alternative ways of composing. You can hold the camera above your head, rest it on the ground etc etc.
Yes I did take many different angles. Walked around a bit in the same area looking for different compositions that would be ablaze to capture what I was looking at. I never did try holding the camera over my head. That's a good idea.

the compostion of the 2nd is a little busy, but all-in-all, not bad.
thank you,
The whole area was pretty busy. Not much for clearings. I even started moving rocks around and stuff but quickly aborted the idea because it just didn't look right. It's the closest place to go after work to not have man made objects in the shot. Houses and such. I might try to take a different dirt road next time. Tho its kind of the terrain of the area. Maybe it would help the busyness by standing in the bed of my truck and shoot high. Take the emphasis off of the ground. I was thinking "forground" when shooting this day.

I never did try holding the camera over my head. That's a good idea.

It can be very effective with a wide angle lens (e.g 24mm on full-frame/16mm on a crop sensor). A couple of feet higher than normal eye-level and tilted slightly towards the ground - looks much higher than 7-8 feet in the image. Use the timer on the camera so you concentrate on holding it level and steady (live view).

Most reactions

Back