Did we get a good deal or did we get ripped off?

Mabuhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

My wife and I decided to buy a new D90 but we are not sure if we got a good deal. We were set on buying the D90 kit but the store only had a D90 body in stock. They sold us the D90 body for $999 and a two lens kit for $399 for a total of $1398
The "two lens kit" consists of:
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6G IF-ED
Nikon camera bag (free)
Nikon DVD - Understanding Digital Photogaphy (free)
Nikon DVD - Fast, Fun & Easy (free)

I don't really care about the DVD's or camera bag. However we are brand new to photography so they may come in handy. I'm more concerned about the lenses.

Would we get more value for our money if we bought the kit (w/ the 18-105 lens) for $1299? We are expecting our first child so most of our pics will centered around this occasion.

Any advice or comments is appreciated!

I definitely wouldn't say it's a bad deal. For somebody just starting out with photography the lenses should be fine for now, and they do cover a nice range. The kit of those two lenses sounds about right price wise.

I suppose my personal recommendation would have been to get the body only and say a nifty fifty or a sigma/tamron 18-50ish 2.8 it would have been in the 300ish range so that would have put you at 1300 or so. They are both quite solid lenses and though they don't have quite the range as what you have purchased they are high quality lenses and are much better in lower light and following a little child around.

That package and price is pretty much the standard offering from someplace like Wolf (Ritz) Camera.

You got the VR version of the long lens, worth about $50.00 more.

I did about the same thing, already sold the bag on Craigslist for $40.00 since I already have other bags.

You are gonna LOVE that D90.

Welcome to TPF!

Most reactions

Back