Differances between DSLR and micro system digital cameras

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All

Hoping someone can give me the pros and cons and there preferances on a DSLR and micro system digital cameras. A friend of mine has bought a Panasonic Lumix G2 which is classed as a micro system digital camera, he was telling how good it is and when I had a look it seemed to have every thing you would need, it is smaller than a DSLR has all the functions of a DSLR and you can change the lenses on it.

On paper it seems to me that you might aswell by a camera which is in the micro system range as it does the same thing as an DSLR and is smaller. I am asumeing this statement is wrong as DSLR's cost more and more peaple have them so can any one tell me the advantage of having a DSLR over a micro system digital camera. Also does any one have any info on how good a micro system digital cameras is such as the Panasonic Lumix G2 and what level can it be used for photography.

James

Hi All

Hoping someone can give me the pros and cons and there preferances on a DSLR and micro system digital cameras. A friend of mine has bought a Panasonic Lumix G2 which is classed as a micro system digital camera, he was telling how good it is and when I had a look it seemed to have every thing you would need, it is smaller than a DSLR has all the functions of a DSLR and you can change the lenses on it.

On paper it seems to me that you might aswell by a camera which is in the micro system range as it does the same thing as an DSLR and is smaller. I am asumeing this statement is wrong as DSLR's cost more and more peaple have them so can any one tell me the advantage of having a DSLR over a micro system digital camera. Also does any one have any info on how good a micro system digital cameras is such as the Panasonic Lumix G2 and what level can it be used for photography.

James

Pro - Size

Con - Quality

With the exception of a mirrorless camera with an APS-C sized sensors, the Lumix and Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras have micro 4/3 sensors which are 2 times smaller than a full frame DSLR where an APS-C sized sensor is 1.5 to 1.6 times smaller. The larger your sensor, the bigger your pixels and the better noise handling and usually image quality. There's of course exceptions to this is you compare across generations where technology has improved, but that's the general census.

Pro - Size

Con - Lenses

The amount of lenses out for these systems does not compare with the lenses for long established DSLR brands. You can of course use legacy manual focus glass from other brands with adapters. I bought an Olympus OM-10 film camera with 50 f/1.8 on it and with a $20 adapter, I can use it on my Olympus OM-D. Also, certain brands are compatible, using the same mount. I use a Panasonic Lumix 20 f/1.7 on my Olympus OM-D.

Pro - Size

Con - Size

This is totally up to the person shooting here. Some people may find the smaller size ackwards to use. I find it difficult to use back button autofocus on my OM-D. My Canon 5D MKII fits great in my giant ham hocks.

Pro - Size

Con - Features

Not all of the features are there that are in bigger cameras. Most use contrast detection auto focus which can be less accurate than the AF in a DSLR. However, my OM-D focuses faster than my 5D MKII on most accounts. Most either use an electronic viewfinder or a rear LCD screen as the viewer. The electronics viewfinder does have some neat tricks like the ability to show you what the photo you take is going to look like vs. what you're actually seeing, zoom in on your target when manually focusing, show what's in focus, etc... or even brighten up a dark room. The resolution on these are not as good as viewing a scene with an optical viewfinder and they're sometimes laggy. I feel that this will of course improve over time.

As much as it sounds like I don't like EVIL cameras by my post, I do. The small form factor, detachable lenses, and good quality give me a camera that's way better than your average point and shoot that I can carry everywhere with me as opposed to a 30lb camera bag with a DSLR and my gear. Don't get me wrong, when I absolutely need the best quality or I'm working a job for a client, my heavy gear comes out, but generally when I'm shooting for me or traveling and need to stay light, I bring the Olympus OM-D with me.

Most reactions

Back