Difference in ISO film / ISO digital

tbrownarcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know enough about it but I think I might be right when I say that High ISO in film though less detailed or more grainy is ALSO more sensitive.

Is it the same in Digital and if so why can they not make a digital sensor that is High sensitivity and LO ISO such as ISO 50. OR is that actually in exhistance?

Thanks,
tbrownarcher (nate)

I'm not totally sure I understand you. Most dSLRS are capable of shooting at very high ISOs. ISO 50 and ISO 3200 is no uncommon.

If you mean, why don't they have a camera that shoots at ISO 50 with the sensitivity of ISO 1600 film, then that will never happen, because ISO is a standard by which the sensitivity is measured. It must be standard between mediums.

ISO 50/100/etc is a standard by the international organization of standards. They can't really change it much...while digital and film vary SLIGHTLY...they're in the same ballpark.

ISO is the measure of the sensitivity of light. If it's ISO 50 but lets in as much light as ISO 1600 then it's not ISO 50 anymore.

Also, they can't make low noise high sensitivity (which I think is your question) due to cost. More expensive digitals have better sensors...but it all depends on how much you can spend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back