What's new

Difference in lenses?

crimbfighter

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
2,219
Reaction score
1,784
Location
Wisconsin, United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My guess is the first one is 2nd generation? VR II.. Im not a nikon guy though.
 
That's what I thought, too. But if you read Nikon's little blurb under "key features" they both claim to have VR II... I'm at a loss. Any Nikon gurus weigh in?

I'm going to buy one and want to make sure I'm not missing out on some super duper feature for $70 less..
 
VR on this lens is actually Nikon's 2nd generation Vibration Reduction. VRII is Nikon's 3rd generation. People say there isn't much of a difference in the VR quality really. But the VRII version has a lock for 18mm so it doesn't lens creep. I would only use it when I'm not using the camera, but I usually have one hand on my camera to protect it anyways when the camera is strapped on my neck
 
I'd go for the VR II version for the slight price premium that exists. You can recover the difference if you re-sell the lens later, plus you'll have the latest and better version of the lens.

VR is very handy when shooting from a moving platform, like a tour bus, ferry boat, taxi cab, train, or in the wind, or when slightly out of breath,etc. Lately there have been some people saying that VR is "not worth it" and so on; I totally disagree with that, especially on slower-aperture, wide-ranging zoom lenses, where you are often going to want to stop the lens down to f/8 of f/9.5 or f/11 or something like that, to get deep depth of field, and the shutter speeds can drop into the 1/8 to 1/25 zone, which is where VR really,really can save your butt many,many times. Also, when doing slow-speed panning shots, VR is really of huge value--far,far better than a tripod is.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom