Difference in Polarizer filters

Thanks guys, well im shooting with L lenses on the canon system. And I already use hoya pro1 UV filters. So i'll just get the more expensive one I guess..

Before you runout and spend a quick rundown on Hoya's Product line:

Hoya Standard - Crap. Piece of glass which does something, no coatings, no QC. Expect it to flare out the wazoo. Affects sharpness of lenses I've tried them on. All around nasty. Gives all filters a bad rep. Their polariser also tends to bleed red colours.
Hoya HMC - Nice coating, well made, I wouldn't recommend anything less to anyone.
Hoya SHMC - Even nicer coating, nicely built, and an all around excellent filter. Most of my current and future filters will be of this series.
Hoya Pro1 - Worse coating than the SHMC. Yeah. Great marketing. Lots of fluff. The word digital somehow is supposed to justify the ludicrous price for what is essentially a similar (or slightly worse) performing filter (in my opinion) than the SHMC series. People own this filter when they haven't compared them against all other, or if they have and also have more dollars than sense. (again in my opinion, but I have yet to see a picture that justifies paying $50 more for a Pro1 over a SHMC, even when pixel peeping.)

Hoya Typically:

Standard ................... 1 coat
HMC ......................... 3 coats
Super HMC (SHMC) ..... 12 coats
Pro 1 ........................ 12 coats
Pro 1 D ..................... 3 coats (but the coating material is supposed to be different somehow)​

Their SHMC/Pro1 ultra thin Circular Polarizer is 7 coats tho. :D

Last edited:
Being German, all my filters are B+W ;) ... and since recently Lee for the gradients

Standard ................... 1 coat
HMC ......................... 3 coats
Super HMC (SHMC) ..... 12 coats
Pro 1 ........................ 12 coats
Pro 1 D ..................... 3 coats​
:D

and how many pairs of pants?

"Isn't it true you tried to sell Freedonia's secret war codes and plans?"

"Sure, I sold a code and two pair of plans."

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics