Diffusing the key light?

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been intensely working on lighting for the past two weeks and I've finally got my second flash in so I can actually have a back light. I'm using a continuous video light as my fill (I know you're not suppose to mix continuous and strobes but if they are the same colour temperature I don't see the problem). Here's my question, the key light is suppose to be your dominant light, it's suppose to be strong. But pointing my flash directly at the subject... it feels too strong. Do you guys bounce your key light?

Alright, what about a softbox or an umbrella?

Ok. What about them?

They make the light apparently larger and the shadow edges softer. They make the shadow edges 'wrap' and become more diffuse.

Umbrellas come in a variety of sizes and if its a convertible umbrella can be used shoot through or reflected.

Softboxes cost a lot more than umbrellas do, come in a variety of sizes and shapes, but give you more control over where the light winds up than umbrellas do.
Westcott 50" Recessed Front Apollo JS #2348
Westcott 2331 28-Inch Apollo Flash Kit

There is an in between type of light modifier called a brolly that is half umbrella, half softbox. Photek Softlighter II, 46" Umbrella with Diffuser.
Westcott 43" Apollo Orb Speedlite Kit

You can also just use diffusion panels/scrims, like the diffusion panel in a 5-in-one reflector. Westcott Photo Basics 304 5-in-1 Reflector Kit

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I've been intensely working on lighting for the past two weeks and I've finally got my second flash in so I can actually have a back light. I'm using a continuous video light as my fill (I know you're not suppose to mix continuous and strobes but if they are the same colour temperature I don't see the problem). Here's my question, the key light is suppose to be your dominant light, it's suppose to be strong. But pointing my flash directly at the subject... it feels too strong. Do you guys bounce your key light?

I believe by "too strong" he's talking about hard light vs. soft light.

Have any images of your problem? That's the best way to show us what you want instead of trying to describe it with what may or may not be the right terminology.

Here's my question, the key light is suppose to be your dominant light, it's suppose to be strong. But pointing my flash directly at the subject... it feels too strong. Do you guys bounce your key light?
The key light sets the mood of your photo, it doesn't have to be "strong". I rarely position the key light so that its center is pointing directly at the subject, rather I will (usually) feather it so the hot spot passes in front of the subject.

I'm, really new to lighting, but if the key is too prominent, wouldn't the best solution be to increase the intensity of the diffuse while stopping down to compensate?

You could also decrease the angle of incidence of the diffuse by making it more perpendicular to the subject, or increase the angle of incidence of the key - as kundalini said - all depending on if you want a more dynamic or flat lighting.

I'd imagine you could also provide a large area of dim diffuse light, and use a small-area high intensity "pin" source such as a speedlight or snoot to control specular; right?

Last edited:
It all depends what end result you want, beautiful young women with good skin can take harder light older women need softer light too reduce wrinckles, older men with craggy skin cry out for hard light, it's hard for us to say what you want jst try boucing it off a reflector to soften the light it's all about playing around to se what works best

Here's my question, the key light is suppose to be your dominant light, it's suppose to be strong. But pointing my flash directly at the subject... it feels too strong. Do you guys bounce your key light?

Is your light literally too strong or does it look to harsh? If it's too strong, reduce the power on the main light. If what you're really meaning is that it looks too harsh, try:
1. Bouncing the key light off a wall or a piece of white foam core board (inexpensive).
2. Hanging a white sheet or a transluscent or white shower curtain between the light and the subject.
3. Use a light modifier on your light.
Good luck,
David Sutphin

You really need to post pics so we can see exactly what you are talking about.

Most reactions

Back