Diffusion...what is your technique?

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to use an old Sigma diffusion lens. Was nothing more than a magnifying lens mounted on the end of a plastic slide tube. Nice lens for soft photos, but too soft many a time.

...what is your technique?

edit_robin_with_flower.jpg

I don't have one. If you really wanted you could just add a Guassian layer though for the similar/same result.

Thats what you wanted the photo to look like?

I shoot portraits through a fishtank full of dirty fish water.

I don't have one. If you really wanted you could just add a Guassian layer though for the similar/same result.

Thats what you wanted the photo to look like?

What is that? A photoshop technique?

The OP photo was an old film shot back in the 70's. With digital maybe no one uses disffusion lenses any more?

I'm just learning the computer way of things.

My plan is to wait until cataracts set in.

The image you posted looks similar to something called the "Orton effect." Something that not many photographers use current day, but basically the digital equivalent to what your photograph is.

That might be a good place to start. I've never used the technique myself, only seen it.

What is that? A photoshop technique?

The OP photo was an old film shot back in the 70's. With digital maybe no one uses disffusion lenses any more?

I'm just learning the computer way of things.
Scroll down further into the forums, to a more appropriate forum section:

Film Discussion and Q & A
Questions or comments about film photography belong here! Plus, discussions and how-to’s on various films, film cameras and other analog-based products

Back in film days use Vaseline. Also made own filters to place in front of the lens.

For in-camera diffusion I like the Cokin Diffuser. They also have a nice Fog filter. Tiffen's Black Net Diffuser filter gives incredible diffusion effects. Diffusion done in-camera affects the light rays that actually come into the lens and it affects the way they hit the sensor, with light from highlights spilling over in to nearby shadow areas, which creates a look that is different from later attempts to re-arrange the pixels. IN-camera diffusion is for those with strong convictions and a sense of artistic integrity and a real vision for how they want the image to look. It's not a play-it-safe-and-try-and-fix-it-in-post type of attitude, hence the frequent derision of the method among the masses.

Derrel, I'm not sure if you're refering to me, but to be clear I suggested the blur layer to mimic the image above, not something that sounds like it creates a specific look. Out of curiosity, do you know of any links that show what you're talking about?

Just got inspired by all this and probably going to yank out the old photo tool box and start making filters.
Now I'm excited :D

I assume the lens the OP was using was actually by Sima, and not Sigma. I have a Sima lens from days past. It has a T-mount fitting, and I've adapted it from my Canon FD to my current EOS cameras, works the same. Maybe the OP could do the same?

Most reactions

Back