Digital Camera w/ Manual controls...good to learn on?

i think its junk science .... i dont think one is better than the other, its a matter of preference ... i can point out 10 things wrong with both ...

its like saying a BMW is better than a Mercedes, or California is better than New York, or a democrat is better than a republican :lol: .... its a matter of preference and personal choice ... i can put a filter on a lens itself, or i can put a filter in photoshop ... is photography an art? ... or is it a science? .. for me personally, its an art form (again, my personal opinion)

again i say having either camera doesnt make u a better photographer :lol:

I dont think motcon was saying digital mainpulations are unacceptable, just that he doesn't think using photoshop is the same as developing in a dark room.
i've never even used a dark room but i would tend to think that there is far more pain and time needed in exposing and developing than pushing the mouse around. Dont get me wrong, i love photshop and digital cameras, but i think this is what motcon was getting at...

just do what i do and use both! :)

Manda,

It would be nice to have access to both, but unfortunately I dont. A lot of older generation high-brows will say things like "computers have allowed a lot of opportunity for young people to blah blah" and the reason I scorn these attitudes is because I think they are jealous that my (our) generation is able to convery our art, our reactions, in an easier and more accessible way than they were.

When my musical project cut a record (www.raraeavis.com)
we didnt care much about putting it on 2 inch tape, we just wanted it to sound a way the satisfied our vision. So what if it is 1's and 0's. The result is much the same, and the vision that drives my expression, be it photography or music is just as driven as any other influence.

I'm not trying to unload on you at all, im just addressing a situation that says digital is here, its not gonna leave, so there is no use getting bent out of shape about it.

there's a lot more to your post than, 'is the darkroom different than photoshop?'. so i'll address it all; there will be a bit of a sting.

A lot of older generation high-brows
stereotyping and forming prejudiced thoughts never lead to the growth of self. further, assumption is insulting to proper conversation. i'm unclear as to what you define as 'old', let alone 'high brow'. if you must know, i'm just over 30 and have a lifetime of education in art. if you don't like what i say because i'm older and educated and you have the same reaction to everyone that shares some similar qualities, there may come a day that you regret it. for future reference; take advantage of the fact that someone with a bit more experience is willing to objectively share information with you. a half hour conversation may save you years of learning.

a lot of times people say things and they just are what they are. '...there is a difference between photoshop and the darkroom...' - you think about it and test yourself on it. if you don't see it, then the next logical question should be, 'what do you see as the difference?' the question, '...do you see something wrong with manipulation?' doesn't really follow the conversation and appears to be looking for some sort of argument in attempt to self justify out of the lack of that knowledge. what am i saying? understand why you do what you do and the ramifications of it. if someone is willing to converse, perhaps take advantage of it.

im just addressing a situation that says digital is here, its not gonna leave, so there is no use getting bent out of shape about it

have a third party read the thread and tell you who exactly who was getting bent out of shape. for anyone to claim that anything is here to stay is making a supposition. things come and go everyday.

I scorn these attitudes is because I think they are jealous that my (our) generation is able to convery our art, our reactions, in an easier and more accessible way than they were

intentionally left this for last (for obvious reasons). i am hardly jealous and folks that i know that use film don't fit that description either. this isn't a digital versus film debate; if you want that, feel free to contact me offline. you are assuming that you have more access to 'ease'. i've said this in this thread already, 'have you spent any time in a darkroom to know this?'. from the dictionary:

jealous:
# Having to do with or arising from feelings of envy

i, and all 'older people', hardly envy digital users just as some film users are not envied for certain reasons. if your assumption is that i don't know a lick about computers because i'm older, i'm afraid to have to disappoint you. rather than go into the specifics (which i will do upon request), i'll state just one example; i intimately know the differences between the digital and film. which brings us full circle back to the beginning of this commentary.

so what's my point in all of this? no matter what the age of an individual, engaging in a learning process is always beneficial. putting up a barrier in your mind in an attempt to allow ignorance serve as self justification is, in fact, not helping to extend the life of your chosen medium.

so did it sting? what i want for you to understand is that i mean absolutely no harm, nor will i in the future. what is important is that objectivity be permitted to govern conversations, not suppositions and prejudice.

Motcon, I wasn't referring to anything that's been said on this board. Anyways, I won a k1000 on ebay. 72 bucks with a flash and a 50mm. lens. The flash is Sunpack Auto 383 superflash. I don't know much about flashes, is this a good one? Also should I invest in some filters now?

Ben

congrats on the k1000.

filters...yes and no. what will you mostly be shooting (color or b&w)? what subjects interest you the most?

seventy two bucks for all of that? wow....the flash alone is about $90 retail. the flash has a decent guide number and the other specs aren't limiting; i think it will do you just fine.

http://www.photococan.com/itm01714.htm

I'm gonna start a new post about lenses and filters in this same section...

Most reactions

Back